Which is better Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC or Nikon 24-120mm f/4 ? for D750 ?

Sharif Taha

Dear all.
I am Sharif Taha a wedding photographer, I am going to buy the new Nikon D750 full frame,
1- Do you think this is an excellent choice for weddings ?

2- But I am not sure which lens is better for weddings and portraits ,
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 DI VC or Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR
although they have different zooms , but concerning to image quality , focus, and low light ?

help me
write me your opinions, advises

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

Do you need the extra reach from the 24-120? Are you looking at the 24-120mm to be your sole go-to lens, rather than trying to switch between a 24-70 and 70-200 combo?

Both are great lenses, but I think you'll see the best IQ out of the Tamron 24-70.

Sharif Taha

Thanks a lot
What I understood that Tamron 24-70 f2.8 is going to give the best
image quality possible even in low light conditions .
Is that right ?
thanks

RocketCowboy

Thanks a lot
What I understood that Tamron 24-70 f2.8 is going to give the best
image quality possible even in low light conditions .
Is that right ?
thanks

Correct. The 24-70 will perform better in low light conditions due to the f/2.8 fixed aperture. The 24-120 will go no wider then f/4. That said, that "might" be good enough for you, since the D750 itself performs very well in low light, so only you can decide whether you need that full-stop more light from the lens itself.

At similar aperture settings, I think you'll also see the Tamron giving better IQ. The obvious benefit to the 24-120 is the extra reach. All that said, the 24-120 is no slouch either ... it's my normal go to lens unless I need that extra stop. I'm shooting a D7100 vs the D750, so not having the same low light performance in the camera body I'll go to the Tamron any time the available light is questionable.

Jaysmark

This is a no contest as far as I am concerned. The Tamron is a steal at its price point. That Nikon would be hell at a darker wedding. You would also have a great lens or your own everyday use.

Last edited: