Great price: D750 with 24-120mm lens

BackdoorArts

This price has popped up a bunch of times in the past, if memory serves, including right before XMAS when the body alone was also on sale, IIRC. Regardless, if you're making the jump to FX there are far worse ways to do it than this package.

Blacktop

This price has popped up a bunch of times in the past, if memory serves, including right before XMAS when the body alone was also on sale, IIRC. Regardless, if you're making the jump to FX there are far worse ways to do it than this package.

Even with the great deal that you made me on the 24-120, this is still less expensive. If I was looking to get into FX and the D810 would be out of the question, this is what I would be jumping on.

BackdoorArts

This is the sort of thing that gives people the wrong impression about "kit lenses". You look at this and figure, "Wow, how the hell can Nikon justify charging over $1000 for the 24-120mm when they're letting them go for $300 with the D750?! It must not be that good."

The reality is that it's not a "kit lens", it's a "D750 package". Nikon sold the D750 for $1796 over Christmas, and while I'll be the first to tell you that $1K is probably a little high for the lens it's certainly worth more than the $500 addition to Nikon's sale price. This is surely an incentive to the DX customer to jump over to FX while getting their first all around zoom and not freaking out over the price ("Honey, I just saved $700 on this great camera and lens!!"). I suspect a lot of people already on FX might buy the package, as I did when it was offered in 2014, with the idea that they can always sell the lens "as new" and save even more on the body. Alas, this makes for a glut of them on the used market, the same way the 24-85mm was when the D600 came out, bringing the used price down and further perpetuating the myth about the lens quality.

At least I don't have to worry about it, mine's not going anywhere.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the sort of thing that gives people the wrong impression about "kit lenses". You look at this and figure, "Wow, how the hell can Nikon justify charging over $1000 for the 24-120mm when they're letting them go for $300 with the D750?! It must not be that good."

The reality is that it's not a "kit lens", it's a "D750 package". Nikon sold the D750 for $1796 over Christmas, and while I'll be the first to tell you that $1K is probably a little high for the lens it's certainly worth more than the $500 addition to Nikon's sale price. This is surely an incentive to the DX customer to jump over to FX while getting their first all around zoom and not freaking out over the price ("Honey, I just saved $700 on this great camera and lens!!"). I suspect a lot of people already on FX might buy the package, as I did when it was offered in 2014, with the idea that they can always sell the lens "as new" and save even more on the body. Alas, this makes for a glut of them on the used market, the same way the 24-85mm was when the D600 came out, bringing the used price down and further perpetuating the myth about the lens quality.

At least I don't have to worry about it, mine's not going anywhere.

The lens alone is almost $1100 new. Wish I had gotten the D750 combo as I'm leaning towards wanting this lens now. I like my Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, but its bokeh leaves a lot to be desired. Other than that, I love it. I've looked at both the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 with VR and without. Not sure I'd want to pay the price for the VR as I'm not impressed by some of the lens tests for it although I wouldn't mind the non-VR version. But both the 24-70mm non VR and the 24-120mm are more than I'd want to pay, and since it is a lens I'd use regularly, I want to purchase the lens new. Hoping for a lens sale this year. ;)

BackdoorArts

You're not going to get a huge bokeh improvement with it - it's good but not great. Reach and VR is why it's on my camera and not in the drawer (or up for sale) like the Sigma. Keep your eye out on the "As New" ones. If you're diligent you can get one for less than 1/2 the current retail. There's no reason on the planet to buy this one at full retail with the glut that seem to be out there.

When I bought my 24-120 way before I bought my D750 it was listed as a White Box special. The dealer had split up the packages and sold the lens separately. I was able to get the lens for about 50% off retail and it was brand new.

I think this special is a great deal for anyone wanting to jump into the FX market. Especially from someone who has been shooting the D7100. It is seamless transition

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You're not going to get a huge bokeh improvement with it - it's good but not great. Reach and VR is why it's on my camera and not in the drawer (or up for sale) like the Sigma. Keep your eye out on the "As New" ones. If you're diligent you can get one for less than 1/2 the current retail. There's no reason on the planet to buy this one at full retail with the glut that seem to be out there.

Oh, but the bokeh stinks wide open. It's a bunch of little onion circles. Lol! ;)

When I bought my 24-120 way before I bought my D750 it was listed as a White Box special. The dealer had split up the packages and sold the lens separately. I was able to get the lens for about 50% off retail and it was brand new.

I think this special is a great deal for anyone wanting to jump into the FX market. Especially from someone who has been shooting the D7100. It is seamless transition

Will you please let me know where you got yours...either here or via PM? Thanks! :)

Lawrence

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a D750

Its all a matter of timing and when I have outgrown my current camera - that is to say mastered it completely - I will do it!

eal1

do you think this sale has anything to do with the impending release of the D500? Is this a way to entice buyers into full frame before
the 500 provides competition for the 750 and keeps prosumer users in DX? Or, is the 750 ready for a refresh? Any thoughts.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
do you think this sale has anything to do with the impending release of the D500? Is this a way to entice buyers into full frame before
the 500 provides competition for the 750 and keeps prosumer users in DX? Or, is the 750 ready for a refresh? Any thoughts.

Nikon has been running sales during the month of February. I'm just hoping they will offer some lenses for sale instead of just the combo packages.

Blacktop

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a D750

Its all a matter of timing and when I have outgrown my current camera - that is to say mastered it completely - I will do it!

Nice! You're portraits will love you for it. You will be absolutely amazed. I know I was, and still am.