D 5300

photobasset

What mode does everyone use for shooting manual or automatic?
What do like/dislike about your camera?
How much post processing do you do?

Never use Auto for anything at all. IT is Evil!!

In all the Nikons I have had I use Program, Aperture, Shutter and Manual. Each mode has its proper use. Learn all of them and get used to shooting with each Then learn what each one of them is good for.

RocketCowboy

With the D5300, I never shoot full manual due to not having a second command wheel. I'm typically in Aperture priority mode. I use the D5300 for more video than I do the D7100 too, so when I do that I'm typically also going manual focus, but that's controlled on the lens.

My only complaints with the D5300 where the lack of a second command wheel for easy full manual support, and the internal GPS was not very reliable at all. Oh ... and I'd like an OEM battery grip for the D5300 since it sucks down batteries pretty quick when shooting video and using the LCD screen.

Sandpatch

I'm in Shutter Priority mostly, as my subject matter is often fast trains and I don't often get a second chance if I mess up a shot. I do some PP, but try to limit it. With trains, I'm trying to capture reality as seen through the lens and pay close attention to light and composition. It's a habit that's hard to reverse after shooting film for 40 years.

When in an artistic mood, I'm in Aperture Priority to work DOF. The only time I'm in Auto is for quick snapshots, especially with a flash.

After 4-1/2 Years, I still love my D-5100 and am still discovering new things about it.

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
Full manual, for better or worse.

Crop, adjust light, sharpen if needed.

Nice camera; have two.