Sweet Macro Shoot - dieters be warned

Fortkentdad

Week Six of my Dogwood 52 Challenge was an Sweet Artsy shot (with a chance of macro)

This is my 'sweet adventure' with candy photography.

I played with a bowl of Jelly Beans (my granddaughters favourite sweet - Papa always has some on hand now).

Dug out my LED lights that go on my flexible arm holder thing-a-ma-jig.
Used crumpled foil for backdrop (and to be as reflective as possible)
My cap served as makeshift beanbag 'tripod' and it worked OK.

setup.jpg

Shot with both my 60mm & 105mm Nikkor 2.8 "micro' lenses. With and without Kenko tubes, with and without Raynox 250 magnifier.

In the end I was plowing through a whack of photos.

Note to self: I should photograph a note saying how the next set is shot, that would be so helpful. For example, might jot down "60mm + 12m tube + 250" on a slip of paper and photograph it, just before trying that set up. Exif does not tell you tube or magnifying filter information.

bean.jpg
60mm.jpg

I tried several techniques including panorama. I now have a new background in my collection for my multi-screen display (my display is 54" x 10" over three screens).

DSC_5492_panorama.jpg

Stitching macro's was an learning experience, not as clean as a landscape. Next time will try tripod but not sure I can get the camera close enough.

Even tried my Lensbaby Fisheye with extension tube. Didn't work so well for me. My new magnifying Raynox 250 won't snap on fisheyes. This is what I did get without the tube (so not a macro I guess, but it was shot less than half inch from the subject - had to wipe the sugar off the lens).

fisheye DSC_5555 -1.jpg

Started getting creative with multi-coloured borders, tedious but in a fun way.

I even tried macro - HDR - not sure I'd do it again.
Same shot - moderate processing - second version much more "creative" processing.

DSC_5439_8_40_Detai Bl-Better Beans-0004-2016-02-03T19_47_16-Smaller HDR Jelly Beans-0002-2016-0.jpgDSC_5439_8_40_Localtone-Better Beans-0005-2016-02-03T19_42_07-Smaller HDR Jelly Beans-0001-2016-.jpg

I had never tried my extension tubes on a wide lens, so turned to my 17-35 Tammy and plugged in a 12mm tube. Auto focus didn't like that at all. Then when I tried manual I could see why - DOF is very very narrow - I tried down around 17 but no luck. By about 24 I could make it work and get OK images. I think this one was at 28 so not all that wide. But I like it. Took aperture up to 22 to get some DOF but the light was not there. This is what I got in the end. Maybe the best of the bunch?

Jelly Beans DSC_5544 -1.jpg

Jelly Beans may not have been the best 'close up' candy - not a lot of texture to shoot so I bit into one, and cut the other with a knife.
Interesting difference.

DSC_5410-Better Beans-0016-2016-02-03T13_32_36.jpgDSC_5472-Better Beans-0010-2016-02-03T14_05_38.jpg

Now to pick one for Week Six selection.

Which one?

Attachments

• bean.jpg
    bean.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 144