New Sony A6300 and lenses

BackdoorArts

I love my a6000. I really do. While this may be slick - real slick - I cannot see paying twice as much as I did for my camera. Sony has a lot of cool features, and the fact that I can mount a Nikon lens on there with an adapter and still get stuff to work is nice. But there's something about the ergonomics of having a thick smartphone-sized thing on the end of these comparatively big lenses that just doesn't do it for me. I'd be much more inclined to go with the a7 series for a little more dough. I'm struggling with finding a world where this makes sense.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Interesting. I was thinking of Fuji but this one could be a game changer for me.

Rick M

Unfortunately the same big Fx lenses on a compact body doesn't make sense to me either. Still baffled Nikon doesn't put one out, if for no other reason than protecting lens sales. Once people start jumping to other bodies, proprietary lenses become appealing.

mikew_RIP

Unfortunately the same big Fx lenses on a compact body doesn't make sense to me either. Still baffled Nikon doesn't put one out, if for no other reason than protecting lens sales. Once people start jumping to other bodies, proprietary lenses become appealing.

Could we be looking at the reason thats holding Nikon and Canon back,they would have to jump in with something very special now they have let them advance so far.

wornish

The BIF tracking does look impressive even against challenging backgrounds,but the example is in movie mode and the video says the focus points shown on the video are simulated.
I just wonder if its as good when shooting full resolution stills at high speed.

AC016

The thing is, all mirrorless cameras, because of the flange distance, can take on pretty much any lens. All you need to do is by a $20 adapter and voila! So, there is always going to be some lost sales when it comes to lenses. The manual focus assistance in today's mirrorless cameras, are quite impressive. If Nikon were to come out with a mirrorless camera and a new line of lenses, there is no doubt that they would lose some lens sales. When it comes to FX lenses, you can purchase a focal reducer to get the FF image on your sensor. Personally, i think Nikon and Canon are just letting everyone else do the mirrorless thing, while they plod along with what they have been doing for decades. I think it's far to late for either of them to come out with something that would "wow!" the mirrorless camera world.

AC016

Could we be looking at the reason thats holding Nikon and Canon back,they would have to jump in with something very special now they have let them advance so far.

Bingo! If you look at all the technology that Fuji, Olympus and Sony have developed over the last 5 years, there is nothing that Nikon can bring out now that would knock the socks off of people.

mikew_RIP

Just been watching a video about the 6300,it claims that if you opt for the new setting of 8 fps, rather than the 11 fps, the live view and EVF now show the next shot you can take rather than the one you have just taken,getting close to a OVF now,the refresh rate was impressive for a mirrorless