New (refurbished) D3300 shows nothing but white photos

tthome

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0015.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0023.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0012.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0020.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0013.jpgDSC_0005.jpgI just purchased a refurb D3300 with a shutter count of 252 images...every picture I take using any of the 2 kit lenses or my prime 35mm lens shows up with a crazy amount of overexposure. it's as if the shutter is staying open too long. I also can switch the dial to any other "mode" EXCEPT for manual and get the same type of super white pictures. The only time I get a good picture is when I swithc it to MANUAL and then I can get a decent picture. It's driving me crazy. I have an older D40 that I'm moving from to the D3300 and I've tested the kit lenses that came on the D3300 on the D40 and they work fine. I then try the old kit lenses that came with the D40 on the D3300 and still come out over whitened. I've reset the shooting menu and setup menu and can't for the life of me get this camera to shoot in anything decent but manual which will not work very kindly when the wife arms herself with it.

Here are some example pictures. Does anyone know of this being a problem? Like I said this is a refurb I just picked up from BUYDIG with 252 shutter count, I'm wondering if I have a dud...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8lJrofl9MDnTlhJRGtaZ0hvYzQ&usp=sharing

can someone help me please...my D40 right now is smoking this D3300.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
What mode are you shooting in? Where is your mode dial set? Auto, A, S, M, Scene.... I am not familiar with the 3300 per se, but you should be able to go into the menu and check under ISO, Auto for a Minimum - Maximum setting. It may be set so that 3200 is the minimum. Just a guess depending on the mode you are using.

Daz

A few things going on here, you ISO is WAY too high, you are using flash when it looks like it wouldnt be needed and the combination of the both are giving you these images ...

I would say go to Aperture or Shutter priority to start with, will be better settings than Auto and take the flash away, you either need a higher ISO or a lower one with flash, not both :)

tthome

What mode are you shooting in? Where is your mode dial set? Auto, A, S, M, Scene.... I am not familiar with the 3300 per se, but you should be able to go into the menu and check under ISO, Auto for a Minimum - Maximum setting. It may be set so that 3200 is the minimum. Just a guess depending on the mode you are using.
I'm shooting all the modes as well as the preset modes and most of the pictures still come out super exposed with white, it only seems to do this when the flash is used however it does it occasionally without the flash but only when the shutter is staying open more.

tthome

A few things going on here, you ISO is WAY too high, you are using flash when it looks like it wouldnt be needed and the combination of the both are giving you these images ...

I would say go to Aperture or Shutter priority to start with, will be better settings than Auto and take the flash away, you either need a higher ISO or a lower one with flash, not both :)

I agree...however when I switch to AUTO I can't get anything decent to come out that is remotely what I'm seeing. I even went outside late afternoon to try to take some shots and those too even looked brighter than what it appeared to be at the time of day, it was just getting dark...again the flash was used and it appeared that the flash might be not timed with the shutter??? I hope I'm saying that correctly.

tthome

What happens if you don't shoot with flash?
Woody, some of the pictures are coming out just "ok" depending the preset mode used like action, scenic, flower or whatever that is. The best pictures I've been able to get out of this thing is basically when I ignore any of the presets or AUTO and just shoot manually. While this is fine for me, I'd like to have the convience of the other modes for when the kids and wife grab the camera....so far the presets and AUTO are utterly no useful.

Horoscope Fish

To eliminate any possible settings issues with the camera body, I suggest you do a couple resets. I don't know that it will help, but it won't hurt.

Press the menu button and use the reset options found in the Shooting and Setup menus:
431787.image0.jpg

nikonpup

check your manual for "reset" you should have 3 - default - shooting - custom. Check your manual for auto iso sensitivity control.

Read the manual and pay attention to the section on ISO. That is your problem. Pick one mode( I would suggest Program for now since it is the most Automated this will get you started. Forget that the camera even has a Auto mode It is pure evil.

tthome

To eliminate any possible settings issues with the camera body, I suggest you do a couple resets. I don't know that it will help, but it won't hurt.

Press the menu button and use the reset options found in the Shooting and Setup menus:
View attachment 196990
I tried resetting the camera almost immediately after seeing the photos. Unfortunately this didn't help and the pictures are still coming out the same.

Horoscope Fish

I tried resetting the camera almost immediately after seeing the photos. Unfortunately this didn't help and the pictures are still coming out the same.
Okay, good.

Well, I agree with everyone else that the EXIF data in your first post clearly indicates the ISO is waaay too high. I don't share Don's distaste of Full Auto, it's rather helpful in situations like this. "P"rogram mode is fine for this as well, I suppose. but what we really need to know, is if this is camera error or camera-operator error. I would tell you to put the camera in Full Auto and go take some shots outdoors in full sun and see where that gets you.