Searching for a new camera

So I'm on a hunt for a new nikon. Right now I have a nikon d40...it has been my only camera as I started becoming interested in photography back in high school (about 8 years ago). So the camera is around 8 years old. It still works great, but it's just old! It only has 3 focal points and I have tried using the D7200 which has 50+ focal points and it's so awesome!!!
I just need some advice on where to find one. Where/how to get a good deal on one as it will be hard for me to spend a s*** ton of money. But this is something very important to me, so if I find a great deal on a great camera then I just might do it!
Is this a good choice of camera?

singlerosa_RIP

You're a day late for Adorama's sale on refurbed 7200s @ $769. I bought mine from Nikon refurb for $900 back in November. If you don't mind not getting a new box and a full warranty, refurb bodies can save you a couple of hundred bucks.

Sign up on Nikon's site as well as Adorama and B&H. You'll get updates from Nikon on when they have their 10% off refurb specials. If you want new, Adorama or B&H.

Good luck.

mikew_RIP

You're a day late for Adorama's sale on refurbed 7200s @ $769. I bought mine from Nikon refurb for $900 back in November. If you don't mind not getting a new box and a full warranty, refurb bodies can save you a couple of hundred bucks.

Sign up on Nikon's site as well as Adorama and B&H. You'll get updates from Nikon on when they have their 10% off refurb specials. If you want new, Adorama or B&H.

Good luck.

This says in stock ready to ship,unless ime missing something

Nikon D7200 DSLR Body- Black - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A. 1554B

mikew_RIP

So I'm on a hunt for a new nikon. Right now I have a nikon d40...it has been my only camera as I started becoming interested in photography back in high school (about 8 years ago). So the camera is around 8 years old. It still works great, but it's just old! It only has 3 focal points and I have tried using the D7200 which has 50+ focal points and it's so awesome!!!
I just need some advice on where to find one. Where/how to get a good deal on one as it will be hard for me to spend a s*** ton of money. But this is something very important to me, so if I find a great deal on a great camera then I just might do it!
Is this a good choice of camera?[/QUOTE
Welcome to the forum

Danno

Is this a good choice of camera?

First, welcome to the forum. This is a good place. I bought a refurbished one from Nikon at the $769 Price @mikew found. I am very pleased. I love the camera. It is very versatile Hope that it works out for you.

Thanks for all of your responses! I'm kind of on a decision right now where the D7200 may be a tad to pricey for me. I looked into the D7100 as there isn't much of a difference between them and found some that were on the cheap end on eBay! I am kind of afraid to buy a refurbished one as you never know what the problem was and if it will occur again. I'd just like to buy it brand new, never been used. I believe I found a D7100 for $619!! Not bad, right?!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Who's the vendor? That price sounds suspiciously close to grey market...

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I buy grey market frequently; but you need to know what you're getting, and what you're *not* getting when you buy grey.
It looks like the vendor is red tag camera.
Have you heard of them?
Im honestly very new at buying camera's, so I need all the help I can get! :)

Danno

Who's the vendor? That price sounds suspiciously close to grey market...

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I buy grey market frequently; but you need to know what you're getting, and what you're *not* getting when you buy grey.
Question about gray market... do you get a US warranty and Nikon support if there is an issue?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Question about gray market... do you get a US warranty and Nikon support if there is an issue?

With grey market you do not get a Nikon warranty OR Nikon support. They will not even repair it even if you pay them. You would have to use a third party repair shop.

Refurbished cameras can be some of the best deals on the market. Just watch who you buy from. Try Cameta. I have bought from them several times including a d7000 and the give you a one year warranty on all their refurbished cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singlerosa_RIP

Don't be afraid of refurb. Many have had nothing wrong with them. I have 2 refurb bodies and they arrived with less than 20 clicks on the shutter. I have some refurb lenses as well. Great way to save money or get better gear for your budget. Others might agree. But you gotta do what makes you feel comfortable.

Horoscope Fish

It looks like the vendor is red tag camera.
Have you heard of them?
Im honestly very new at buying camera's, so I need all the help I can get! :)
In looking up Red Tag Camera, I'm 99% certain they sell grey market kit.

Now, first and foremost, there's nothing wrong or illegal about grey market kit. GM is cheaper because what you're not paying is the Nikon USA warranty. You get a warranty through the seller. Nikon will not service GM kit (and they can tell from the serial number) for any reason, not even if you pay them to do it; they simply won't touch it. This is fine by me, personally, because Nikon's service, warranty-based or otherwise, generally sucks in my experience and I have plenty of independent camera shops that are happy to work on my grey market cameras who will do it faster, cheaper and without a lot of BS attitude. Still, that's what you're NOT getting when you buy grey market. It's a grey-t way (HA!) save a ton of money but again, you need to know what you're getting into when you buy grey.

Danno

With grey market you do not get a Nikon warranty OR Nikon support. They will not even repair it even if you pay them. You would have to use a third party repair shop.

Refurbished cameras can be some of the best deals on the market. Just watch who you buy from. Try Cameta. I have bought from them several times including a d7000 and the give you a one year warranty on all their refurbished cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Don, I thought that was the case but I was just not sure.

Danno

In looking up Red Tag Camera, I'm 99% certain they sell grey market kit.

Now, first and foremost, there's nothing wrong or illegal about grey market kit. GM is cheaper because what you're not paying is the Nikon USA warranty. You get a warranty through the seller. Nikon will not service GM kit (and they can tell from the serial number) for any reason, not even if you pay them to do it; they simply won't touch it. This is fine by me, personally, because Nikon's service, warranty-based or otherwise, generally sucks in my experience and I have plenty of independent camera shops that are happy to work on my grey market cameras who will do it faster, cheaper and without a lot of BS attitude. Still, that's what you're NOT getting when you buy grey market. It's a grey-t way (HA!) save a ton of money but again, you need to know what you're getting into when you buy grey.
I wish we had some local repair shops that I could turn too. It would open things up a bit, but we do have a good local Nikon dealer that has a good reputation.

Travis Garrett

I just recently just upgraded from my d5000 to a d7000. got off of Amazon for $368 used of course with only 3000 shutter count. EBay has pretty good bargains as well.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Okay everyone, there has been a change! I just found out that my step dad will be giving me his D5100 as he just got a D7200 a month or two ago. What does everyone think of the D5100? I know it's probably quite a step down from the 7100, but still pretty good camera right?!

Im thinking that will do me good for quite a while, and maybe I'll try to sell or trade my d40 and then get the 7100 or 7200?

mikew_RIP

Okay everyone, there has been a change! I just found out that my step dad will be giving me his D5100 as he just got a D7200 a month or two ago. What does everyone think of the D5100? I know it's probably quite a step down from the 7100, but still pretty good camera right?!

Im thinking that will do me good for quite a while, and maybe I'll try to sell or trade my d40 and then get the 7100 or 7200?

I had the D5100 and there is nothing wrong with it a great little camera,i didnt like the size of it for holding so i added a battery pack which are cheap if you find the same.