Nikon AF 50 mm 1.8D lens

Bukitimah

Hi, I am using the AFS 18-105 mm VR lens. I also add a Raynox DCR 250 for macro. I read a lot of the AF 50 mm 1.8D lens. I am not sure if I need one. Many friends told me that it is a good lens but what advantage do I get since my current 18-105 mm covers this range?

Of course, with the 1.8 f, I would be able to take picture with less light. But would flash and reflector do the same job?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
What a fast lens get you is the ability to shoot at low light and better control of bokeh. I had the 50/1.8D and it is a great lens - especially for the price (approximately US$100).

There are times when you don't want to use flash. The pano image from Prague which is the header on my website was taken with a D70s and the 50/1.8D. Another example is below taken with the same camera and lens in Bruges.

medium.jpg

LensWork

I will assume that since you have the AFS 18-105 mm VR lens, you are shooting with a DX format camera (your profile does not list which camera you shoot with). If you have an entry-level model, i.e. D40, D3100, D5000, etc., please be aware that these models require AF-S lenses for auto-focus so you should look at the AF-S 50mm f/1.8G or AF-S 35mm f/1.8G as opposed to the AF 50mm f/1.8D. My personal preference for a "grab shot" low-light-level lens in the DX format is the 35, but the 50 has its fans as well.

Bukitimah

Yes I am aware. Inwas using D5000 and have just switched over to D300. So your recomendation is the 35 mm? What is the difference? Would I be able to mount my Raynox on it?