Didnt take Canon long

jay_dean

Agreed. Its a poor design both aesthetically and practically. That rear layout could have a much larger lcd screen if it weren't for the space taken by the card slots. Interestingly has CF(+CFast) slots, where Nikon seem to be moving away from that format

mikew_RIP

Agreed. Its a poor design both aesthetically and practically. That rear layout could have a much larger lcd screen if it weren't for the space taken by the card slots. Interestingly has CF(+CFast) slots, where Nikon seem to be moving away from that format

Is it a knee jerk reaction to the D5:D they will probably have known something about the D5 for a while.

jay_dean

Is it a knee jerk reaction to the D5:D they will probably have known something about the D5 for a while.
Dunno, they'd have probably known about both of them for a while now, but i cant see them cobbling it together quickly over a few months, thats just asking for trouble.

pforsell

Nikon and Canon have both been in the same 4 year (Olympic Year to be exact) pro body release cycle for quite some time. This year it is the 2016 Rio Olympics. The two companies are in almost lockstep, releasing the new body 3 to 6 months before the big games so the sport pros can get used to it.

I am sure the R&D for the D5 began in 2012 at the latest, perhaps even before the D4 was officially released. And D4 came in good time for the 2012 London Olympics. I don't think I'm wrong if I claim the new 1D has been brewing in the top lab at Canon for the last 4 years.

BackdoorArts

^^^^ This ^^^^

No one is reacting to anyone, no one is rushing stuff out to answer for the other guys. The Olympics is a huge deal and these cameras have been in the works for some time.

The ergonomics of each maker is certainly foreign to the experienced user of the other, but if you pay careful attention the "Oooo, that's cool" features that pop up on one are almost always adopted by the other eventually (Canon had the second joystick button on the back for a couple years before Nikon put in on the pro bodies).

AC016

Nikon's D5 comes in two flavors: one with CF and one that takes XQD. The LCD screens on both the new Canon and D5 are the same size ;)

jay_dean

Nikon's D5 comes in two flavors: one with CF and one that takes XQD. The LCD screens on both the new Canon and D5 are the same size ;)
I think we're talking about two different cameras here. My point was aimed at the original posting about new aps-c frame that Canon are releasing in answer to the D500. Perhaps the LCD screens are the same size, but that doesn't take away the fact that the card slot door takes up way too much space on the rear of the frame. If they had placed the card slots in a similar way to a Nikon frame what more could they have got out of that space?

BackdoorArts

I think we're talking about two different cameras here. My point was aimed at the original posting about new aps-c frame that Canon are releasing in answer to the D500. Perhaps the LCD screens are the same size, but that doesn't take away the fact that the card slot door takes up way too much space on the rear of the frame. If they had placed the card slots in a similar way to a Nikon frame what more could they have got out of that space?

Canon hasn't released a new 7D (their pro cropped sensor body). The 1D and D5 have similarly sized card slots on the back. I've not held a D5, but I've got a 1D sitting here on loan and the door over the slot is built that way for a reason - it's not going to let a lick of moisture in. You can't open it without first unlocking it (that knob underneath the ON/LOCK/OFF switch). The D500 has the same card slot cover design as Nikon's consumer level cameras, and while it may have better sealing I can almost guarantee that it's not water tight. The D5's looks similar to the 1D, but I don't see a lock unless it's the raised curve to the side, which leaves me concerned that the indentation opposite it will compromise the seal (again, I've never held one). Form follows function here and on a pro body the last thing you want is water inside when you're out shooting in the rain.

I should add that the arrangement of the card slot has to do with the way the batteries are inserted. In the D5 and the 1D the battery runs along the bottom of the camera which allows for the cards to be inserted straight into the camera from the back. On the D500 (and all other Nikons) the battery is inserted from the bottom up through the grip, so the card must be inserted along the back, parallel to the back of the body. Nothing wrong with that, but it compromises the sealing somewhat.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As users we often have the tendency to take side, but as manufacturers, both companies work together. The way I see things, I can almost see their presidents going to lunch on a regular basis, deciding who's going to do what first, taking turns for updates.

Let's face it, when Canon does something, Nikon will eventually benefit later with another upgrade. R & D engineers can be so far from each others with todays technological tools available to them.

AC016

Oh, sorry. Though, you never mentioned the D500 in any of your posts and the OP posted a link to the new Canon EOS 1DX, a full frame camera and direct competitor to the D5. ;)