Portrait lens for D3300

Federico-Nov

Dear all

I recently bought the D3300 with 18-55 and 55-200
I add a Limostudio Kit with 3 umbrellas, light bulbs and muslim backdrops and a tripod.

I'd like to practise mainly with indoor potraits and family group pictures (from 3 to 5 persons)

I have been recomended here to buy the 85mm f1.8 AF-D. It's a bit expensive for me right now.
I could efford a 300 USD max lens.

I was thinking in the 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX, that will auto-focus in my D3300, adding a filter and a hood

What do you think about it?

Amazon.com : Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens with B+W 58mm Clear UV Haze : Camera & Photo

Thank you!

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

On the D5100 we love the 35mm DX 1.8 and it won't break the bank.

Gives wider shot than the 50 or 85 will on your D3300.

Use your 18-55 to compare a shot at 35, then 50, then go to your 55-200 and shoot at 85. You will see how much room you need to get the shot done. IMO the 85 would be for headshots if shot in typical room in a house (not in a public space). The 50 good for one person - well sitting maybe, And the 35 is just wide enough for a couple, maybe three people if you can back up a bit.

But try that experiment and see how much room you need for the various lenses. This works if you know the space you typically have to work with, and if you know the type of shot you want. It is easier to move closer with the wider lens than it is to back up with the 85.

Yes you need the AFS unless you are prepared to manual focus. I tried that with my D5100 and my 50mm 1.8 (not AFS) and it is a skill I have yet to develop. Manual focusing works for me in macro work - but not so much in portraits.

IMHO

Last edited:

Zeke_M

I'd suggest that you start with your 55-200. It is capable of doing a fine job.

For two years I did all my pictures with the kit lens, 55-200 and a D3100.
The 55-200 will do portraits, phony macro and is a good outdoor walkaround. I wore out one and am working on wearing out another.
As someone else mentioned the 35mm prime is almost mandatory for all DX cameras. It will take your D3300 to a new level.

carguy

I'd suggest that you start with your 55-200. It is capable of doing a fine job.

I would start here certainly. Especially if you are using lighting, no need for a wider aperture doing studio work.

If you'd like better quality glass as you move forward, look at the 50mm 1.8G or 85mm 1.8G.

Federico-Nov

Thank you very much!!!

For my passions and hobbies I generally try not to be into "shopping mode" and to get just the right stuff for my skills level but my sister will travel to USA and it could be a good opportunity to buy a lens for a much cheaper price.

I'm not in a hurry though

I'll do the experiment with my two lenses to check the best focal length for my space.

I'll post some pics as soon as possible.

Federico-Nov

Here is a close up of my cat using kit 18-55@48
The room was really dark so I had to use High ISO (3600), slow shutter speed (1/8) with f5.3
Auto WB and I don't remember if it was auto or manual focus.

DSC_0219 by Federico, on Flickr

Last edited:

Federico-Nov

Hi! I'm a newby but I'll answer anyway.
"Prime" means that it has a fixed focal lenghts (35)... if you want to change the composition, you have to back up or go closer to your subject. WIth the kit lense 18-55 you just move the gear and you change the focal lenght and composition of your pic.
Zeke; exactly what is a 35 MM "Prime" lens? Paul

aroy

Try the 35mm F1.8DX. It is quite low cost, and works well for me.

ISC_1260.jpg

HSC_9796.jpg

J-see

35mm is too short for portraits.

Yes it's possible but take the same shot with a longer lens and you quickly see why it's not a good idea.

The 85mm isn't that expensive and would serve the purpose much better.

Last edited:

Federico-Nov

I did some experiments in my place where I set a little studio and 85 mm (127 mm translated into full fame word) is a bit too long for me. Anyway I decided to change the “Game Plan”.

Considering that I have a limited budget I decided to give priority to lighting equipments to set a 3 lighting source scenario with some modifiers and reflectors.

I’ll first use the 18-55 and 55-200 as much as I can and then I’ll see.

carguy

35mm is too short for portraits.

Yes it's possible but take the same shot with a longer lens and you quickly see why it's not a good idea.

The 85mm isn't that expensive and would serve the purpose much better.

Agreed. I'd go for the 50mm 1.8G before the 35mm for portraits.

Dear all

I recently bought the D3300 with 18-55 and 55-200
I add a Limostudio Kit with 3 umbrellas, light bulbs and muslim backdrops and a tripod.

I'd like to practise mainly with indoor potraits and family group pictures (from 3 to 5 persons)

I have been recomended here to buy the 85mm f1.8 AF-D. It's a bit expensive for me right now.
I could efford a 300 USD max lens.
*SNIP*
That AF-D lens will not auto-focus on your D3300 body as the D3300 does not have the auto-focus motor built in. If you'd like auto focus, consider the Nikon 85mm f1.8G - Often sells for $350-375 used, a great value really.

I also agree to work with what you have already. As you have a lighting kit, you should really not need much below f9 for lit portrait work / learning :)