New camera, rear lens cap stuck...

Horoscope Fish

The camera having just arrived I can't get the rear lens cap off the 18 140mm lens, any ideas? Am afraid of damaging it.
Wow... This is a new one on me. The only thing I can suggest is my solution for things like stuck pickle-jar lids. We have an oven mitt in the house with soft, silicon rubber on the business part of the palm. Using this allows me to get super-solid traction on the stuck lid. If you don't have such an oven mitt, a rubber glove (a la Playtex Living Glove) could work, or even a rubber band around the stuck cap; anything to help you get a better grip.

Also, be sure to turn the cap clockwise to remove it.

Zeke_M

If this lens has a metal mount? Delicate capectomy with an exacto knife. Try to gently slice on the side enough to loosen up the lid and pop it off.
Stay away from the top part that covers the glass.
Easy on the coffee when you do this.

Last edited:

Robinhunter74

Done it, no knives required just put it down and came back to it for one last go, will leave a proper play with it till tomorrow, got a few focused shots to prove its working. Instructions pretty usless on the cap removal, just an image with an arrow suggesting it be pulled away from the lens body, no twist suggested in any direction. Thanks anyway.

Horoscope Fish

Instructions pretty usless on the cap removal, just an image with an arrow suggesting it be pulled away from the lens body, no twist suggested in any direction.
Well there IS this illustration in the manual; I guess they thought that was enough:
Manual 140.jpg

Whiskeyman

I got the lens as a kit lens boxed up with the D5500, no separate lens manual.
But you're good with the rear cap removed, right? All lenses for Nikons that I've experienced require the twist to remove. I've seen some third party lenses that just slip straight on and off, but not many. Good luck with the camera and welcome to nikonites.com.

WM

Robinhunter74

Seems good so far, will explore it all more tomorrow, only got it sorted at 9pm. My Nikon life is before me, just need to learn a reasonable amount about how it works before a 2 week holiday in Goa, India in March. From experience I know I'll still be learning its ways for quite a while.:)

Robinhunter74

Seems OK so far, only got it sorted at 9pm, 2 hrs after receipt. My Nikon life is before me, just need to learn its ways enough to get some good shots from a trip to Goa, India in March. Also taking the superzoom I've had for 3 years to cover all options.

Bill4282

I got just a white plastic slip on cap with some lenses; bought real caps from Adorama. Problem is that normally most caps tighten clockwise like bottles, meds, etc.; nikon lens caps are counterintuitive and loosen clockwise. Just a learning curve.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

MaxBlake

...nikon lens caps are counterintuitive and loosen clockwise. Just a learning curve.

I had the same reaction with my first such end cap, Bill. It took awhile (slow learner, I guess) for me to figure it out. I've also noticed that it doesn't take much to really get their lens caps extraordinarily tight. That, too, is part of the learning curve.