Nikon F5 data to computer

BooBoos

I ahve a question and need some help. I would like to print out the data from the f5. Exposure information ect. I have an F5 and I have a MV-1 card reader. Once the info is on the card do I need anything to get it into my mac. Photo sectreary is no longer available. Is that needed. Iam confused.

Thank You

Joseph Bautsch

Go ahead and plug the card reader with the card installed into the computer. A card file icon should appear on the desk top. Double click on it. The computer will search for a program that will open the file. If there is none then it will indicate there is no program available. iPhoto should be installed on your Mac, however that is for photos and your card is data only so I don't think that will open it. You can try e-mailing Apple and asking if a program exists that can do that. Or better yet send a question to Nikon and ask them if there is a Apple friendly program available.

Joseph Bautsch

A couple of questions? Can you even access the camera card? Can it be removed from the camera to insert in a card reader? I did some quick research on the internet and all the talk is about having a 10 pin port built into the camera for down loading the data. There is a cable that was made by Nikon for computers a with serial port but has been out of production for some time.

BooBoos

When I first started this quest I heard the F5 claim to fame was you could download data from the camera. I contacted nikon as soon as I purchased a good used F5. Explained to the girl what I wanted to do and she told me the cables are not easy to get. So I asked her if I purchased a mv-1 card reader and download the data from the camera to the mv-1 and then load the card into the computer she said in theory it would work.I can get the data to the card but not sure if I can get the mac to reconogize the data on the card. I dont know if there is a program in my computer to do that.

Joseph Bautsch

OK, I did some more research. I found the MV-1 card reader at B&H Photo (over $240). Here is how they describe the reader:

"The Nikon MV-1 allows you to transfer the recorded shooting data that's stored inside the F6, F5 or F100 cameras for each shot as a text file (.txt) to a Compact Flash card (CF Type I, included). Data can then be transferred from the memory card to your personal computer, and used with data management programs like Excel, etc.

Compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems."

There is a Excel program for the Mac. That may be your answer.

BooBoos

I do have excel. I already purchased the card reader so I should be great to go.
Thank You for all your help. You saved me a ton of phone calls.

Have a great day
Jim

Joseph Bautsch

Just as a side note. Your Mac should have a TEXT editor included as part of the programing included with the purchase of the computer. It also should open the downloaded .txt file.

BooBoos

Ok another question. I purchased my f5 used and was told by the person it was never used this was last summer. So I took two rolls and my buddy tried it out and shot a roll. I hooked up the card reader and transfered the camera data to the card and then from the card to the computer. Ther was 6 rolls taken with that camera which is a good deal. Now, I am sure this is a dum question to people with computer knowledge. How to I erase the card with the existing rolls. I want to wipe it clean and when I download the next rolls I want only thoes to show up. any help out there is always appreciated.