D750 test by dpreview

That is a great review. Kind of confusing in places till I realized the were talking about shooting in JPEG.

One thing I am not quite sure of though is that when you are shooting in RAW the LCD playback is showing you the Processed JPEG version. Am I correct in that assumption? If yes then you could use ADL High and flat profile and other improvements to show you more of what you could possibly get once you Process your RAW file. I know that when I look at my shots on the camera they tend to look rather lifeless. It would be nice to get them to look a little better.

I did find out recently that the White Balance is affected in the RAW shot. I did not think that any of the controls did anything to the RAW file. Is there anything else that does change the RAW files?

lostnomore

That is a great review. Kind of confusing in places till I realized the were talking about shooting in JPEG.
I'm quite certain they shot everything in RAW during the first half, and then during the second half they pulled all the details out of the deep shadows while post-processing the RAW images to get their final images. So them using highlight-weighted metering, flat profile, etc while shooting allowed them to achieve this. There's absolutely no way they would have been able to pull that amount of shadow detail out of a JPEG file.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

One thing I am not quite sure of though is that when you are shooting in RAW the LCD playback is showing you the Processed JPEG version. Am I correct in that assumption? If yes then you could use ADL High and flat profile and other improvements to show you more of what you could possibly get once you Process your RAW file. I know that when I look at my shots on the camera they tend to look rather lifeless. It would be nice to get them to look a little better.

I did find out recently that the White Balance is affected in the RAW shot. I did not think that any of the controls did anything to the RAW file. Is there anything else that does change the RAW files?
As I understand it, you can use different WB settings when shooting RAW but you're not actually affecting the RAW file itself. The WB information you've chosen in the menu is simply being recorded and appended to the RAW data. You would be able to change the WB at any time during post' because you've not actually affected the data.

Using Camera RAW, I can apply any of the Nikon Profiles (Landscape, Vivid, Portrait, Flat, etc.) to any RAW file, regardless of what settings I used in-camera; they're just presets. I can do the same with WB; the options are just presets I can apply if I want to. Maybe I forgot to change the WB setting one day and I accidentally took a fantastic shot using the "Tungsten" WB preset on my camera while outdoors... No problem, I just change the WB setting from "Tungsten" to "Auto" or "As Shot" (or any other preset or adjust it manually) while in Camera RAW.

Again, as I understand it... RAW data is just that: RAW data. We can apply all the "settings" we want in-camera to save time but in the final analysis, it's still just RAW data and all of those presets are appended to that data to help speed up our workflow.

Last edited:
As I understand it, you can use different WB settings when shooting RAW but you're not actually affecting the RAW file itself. The WB information you've chosen in the menu is simply being recorded and appended to the RAW data. You would be able to change the WB at any time during post' because you've not actually affected the data.

Using Camera RAW, I can apply any of the Nikon Profiles (Landscape, Vivid, Portrait, Flat, etc.) to any RAW file, regardless of what settings I used in-camera; they're just presets. I can do the same with WB; the options are just presets I can apply if I want to. Maybe I forgot to change the WB setting one day and I accidentally took a fantastic shot using the "Tungsten" WB preset on my camera while outdoors... No problem, I just change the WB setting from "Tungsten" to "Auto" or "As Shot" (or any other preset or adjust it manually) while in Camera RAW.

Again, as I understand it... RAW data is just that: RAW data. We can apply all the "settings" we want in-camera to save time but in the final analysis, it's still just RAW data and all of those presets are appended to that data to help speed up our workflow.

I understand all that. I was just surprised that adjusting it in camera showed up when I carried it into Lightroom or Photoshop without me setting or applying anything

BackdoorArts

I understand all that. I was just surprised that adjusting it in camera showed up when I carried it into Lightroom or Photoshop without me setting or applying anything

White balance is the only camera adjustable setting that carries over to Lr/ACR from the RAW file. The rest are available, but Adobe chooses not to use them. The preview image on the back is a JPEG with all camera settings applied and is stored with the RAW file. If you pay attention during your import process you'll see that the first pass of the Lr import shows the preview image from the camera JPEG, but the second pass (if you have it set to build a standard or 1:1 preview) will build a new preview based on the Camera Raw defaults (which can be customized by camera but cannot be set to replicate file data) and you can actually watch as the preview image changes from the one generated in camera to the Adobe generated image. I override the initial profile from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard, apply a different default level of sharpening, and turn on the corrections for CA and lens profiles.

And so you know, the camera profiles provided by Adobe for each camera body are approximations of the Nikon profiles. Some are better than others, some are apparently really bad.

I have my own import defaults but I am going to set my camera to approximate the look just so my on camera JPEGs look better Since it does not affect the RAW it can't hurt anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk