Howdy from Northern Vermont

Glenfiddich

Navy and Marine Corps vet tired of the rat race so settled in a very rural part of Vermont about 30 miles from the border with Quebec. I'm a long distance motorcyclist, a passion my wife doesn't enjoy. Just as well, since I found her screams of terror somewhat distracting. Five years ago I added a sidecar to the stable and enjoyed sidecar travel with my service dog, Barley. That dog had 55,000 miles under his collar covering 36 states and 6 Canadian provinces before I lost him to cancer just last November. Traveling with him was such a joy, and I got into photography to capture the memories. Check out Travels With Barley | Motorcycle Adventures in the US and Canada with the golden retriever Barley to share our bond.

I have two other goldens - Kazoo and Tulliver - and while Tully will ride with me he clearly doesn't enjoy it like Barley did. That's okay; he brings other gifts to the relationship. We're getting a new pup in May, and he will begin training to be my next service dog and, if all goes well, my next adventure dog as well. He comes from a long line of master hunters, as did Barley, and will certainly be a handful. His name will be Pandemonium.

Just bought a D5500 for the touch screen. With my fading vision I found it much easier to use than the traditional menus. In the past I've always leaned toward cameras a couple generations back for the price point, and spent my money on decent glass. The 18-200 is my fave, with a 50mm 1.4 for low light. Thinking of selling the 50 and getting a 35 instead. And on the road use the 18-55 because it's so much lighter and smaller; space is at a premium on the bike.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join!

Pete

weebee

Welcome to the forum. Nice story about your dog and times with him. Northern Vermont is very nice. I've been to Burlington on vacation before. A lot of neat areas to visit and take pictures of.

Double_S_

Welcome to the forum. I'm new to dslr camera's. I ordered the D5500 a couple days ago from an outfit in New York. It's about half way to eastern Washington and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Thank you for your service.
Simon

RocketCowboy

Howdy Pete and welcome to Nikonites!

Always good to see another long distance rider ... it's what got me back into photography too, except I had no dog, only the bike to take pictures of. :) Do you ride any of the long distance rallies that take place up in the north east?

...edited... just checked your blog and saw you're a fellow MOA member too!

Last edited:

Glenfiddich

Howdy Pete and welcome to Nikonites!

Always good to see another long distance rider ... it's what got me back into photography too, except I had no dog, only the bike to take pictures of. :) Do you ride any of the long distance rallies that take place up in the north east?

...edited... just checked your blog and saw you're a fellow MOA member too!

Well, I live in the northeast so they wouldn't be long distance rallies for me. (Long distance for a BMW rider is it takes at least three days to get there.) I ride a GSA wearing knobbies for local rides (less than two days and mostly dirt roads) and reserve the GSA sidecar rig for longer trips. I've always been worried about the effect of vibration on my Nikons, but haven't had a problem in 90k miles so using dirty underwear as padding must be okay.

Barley was also an MOA member, btw. On the associate member form they asked for age and gender, but not species, so he got his own card, his own wrist band for the beer tent, etc. He was an incredible dog. Tulliver and Kazoo are keeping me sane till I get Pint o' Pandemonium fully trained and ready for adventure.

Thanks, all, for the welcome!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice to have you join. I read a bit on your Molson and was deeply touched. Thanks for posting the link to your website.