Setting up for failure!

Just-Clayton

My daughters friend has gotten into photography only recently. Had only a mid size point and shoot to do her work. She has done all right with still photos and family photos. She came to me for some advice to doing weddings. I only do an occasional one here and there. She had just purchased a D3300 and 1 lens (18-55). I tried to explain to her that just that set up alone wouldn't work. I showed her my d610 and lenses and told her that my set up is on the low end of the spectrum for weddings. She didn't even know how to change lenses, barely understood lighting or camera set up. She has a wedding already booked in June and I see she is answering to an add in the local facebook garage sales for another wedding. I let her borrow a couple manual lenses and an old 3rd party flash and told her to practice. I just feel she is going to fail and fail hard. Just my opinion.

cbay

Sounds like she will have a lot to learn from here shortly. If her desire is strong enough and willing to learn maybe she can grow from it,,,, and hopefully not have customers that want to chase her down!!

I feel sorry for those Brides who stand to lose those important memories from their most important day. That is what happens when you don't do your due diligence in hiring a professional photographer to shoot for you ,

Danno

I cannot do weddings. It is too stressful. I do not have the stamina for it and the stress is far more than I can manage. But I have done some friends wedding vow renewals. I explain my limitations and they are more like family pictures than wedding pictures. Much less stress. I did one a few weeks ago and gave the pictures to my friends they were so pleased... The bride told me she was so thankful. It was there 50th wedding anniversary. The original wedding they hired a photographer but allegedly he forgot to load film in his camera... they did not get a single picture from the original wedding.

It broke her heart and she never got over it. Lot of responsibility with weddings... Sad how cavalier someone can be.

Rick M

Wow, that's not good! Any chance you can talk her out of it? Maybe suggest she work for free with an established Wedding Photographer to learn and see how hard it can be?

Just-Clayton

Everyone praises her work and she is oblivious. I did my first wedding 5 years ago and I was clueless. I still go out and try different things to improve. But, too not even know the understanding of a camera. I see a lynch mob in her future.

Moab Man

She is racing down the road with a blindfold on not realizing it's actually a train track with an incoming train. What's even worse is that people like her don't realize the people praising her work are lying to her, not because they intend to lie to her, but they don't know what they are talking about - ok photograph from professional photography.

And I echo Don, it's too bad this bride is going to miss out on her moments photographic memories.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I only ever photographed one wedding, and that was at least 16 years ago. I really didn't want to do it, but it wasn't a first wedding for either the groom or bride. And I only did it because of their non-stop insistence. Makes me shudder when I think about it now because I knew nothing about posing or hand/arm placement. Perhaps ask her if she knows how to pose to make them look their best. Or bounce lighting or off-camera flash. Try to plant seeds that make her realize she doesn't know all the in's and out's of photographing weddings.

Daz

She had just purchased a D3300 and 1 lens (18-55). I tried to explain to her that just that set up alone wouldn't work. I showed her my d610 and lenses and told her that my set up is on the low end of the spectrum for weddings. She didn't even know how to change lenses, barely understood lighting or camera set up.

I disagree that you cant do a wedding with a D3300 (Yes I agree the kit lens isn't good enough) HOWEVER, my first wedding I did for a friend that wasn't going to have a photographer so it was a good test run for me. I shot with a D3200 and a D3300 ...

It doesn't matter what kit you have, if you have the eye you have the eye ...

This was done on a 3200 with the kit lens
Devon and Jaimie Bridesmaid prep-76.jpg

These 2 were the 3200 with a different lens
Jaimie and Devon couple shots-1.jpg

Devon and Jaimie second half reception shots-32.jpg

And a shot on he D3300
Jaimie and Devon Ceremony shots-104.jpg

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

I disagree that you cant do a wedding with a D3300 (Yes I agree the kit lens isn't good enough) HOWEVER, my first wedding I did for a friend that wasn't going to have a photographer so it was a good test run for me. I shot with a D3200 and a D3300 ...

It doesn't matter what kit you have, if you have the eye you have the eye ...

This was done on a 3200 with the kit lens
View attachment 195233

These 2 were the 3200 with a different lens
View attachment 195234

View attachment 195235

And a shot on he D3300
View attachment 195236

Not dissing the 3300 what so ever. 3100 was my first. But, had a few more lenses and did my first wedding with it. But, when you don't have a full knowledge of how things work you are more then likely going to fail. I only do the small weddings still. Not ready for the big time yet. That is why I let her use my older lenses and flash for practice.

Daz

Not dissing the 3300 what so ever. 3100 was my first. But, had a few more lenses and did my first wedding with it. But, when you don't have a full knowledge of how things work you are more then likely going to fail.

Yeah she should really hire some more lenses I made sure I had at least a 3 lenses with me (the 17-70 2.8-4.5, 70-200 2.8 and the 50mm 18)

I would say you can either tell her how hard it is and that she should really think before really accepting the jobs or guide and help her as much as you can and hope that some of your tuition helps her !!

Needa

Challenge Team
I wish her luck. If the stars align she may pull it off. As for helping maybe you could suggest some scenarios for practice. A dance club or bar closely simulates a reception. Churches conditions are all over the place, as are restrictions, so no particular ideas there. My thoughts was if she could see how hard it might be, just maybe she might change her mind. She probably won't take anyone's word for it.