D500 slow production??

Deezey

Hmmmmm. Sounds like they found a bunch of Guinea Pigs to work all the bugs out before the lesser mortals get their hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

What's the big deal here? It sounds to me like response is so good that they're getting out ahead of things so that when pre-orders become backorders it's not as if they didn't warn you. Putting this camera into the hands of Nikon pros first makes all the sense in the world. It's what always happens. Don't make something out of nothing.

pforsell

Could be a case of where are all the orders for this camera.lets spread some pannick and hope the orders come rolling in.:D

I think you are onto something here. The D300 sold 180,000 units in 2 years, the D300S sold 70,000 units in 6 years (disaster). The Canon 7D Mk II commands a minuscule 2.38% market share of DSLR cameras in a rapidly shrinking market, and now Nikon is going after that small percentage, two years late. I wonder if they can sell 10,000 of those.

I hope the D500 won't prove to be the iceberg that sinks Nikon, as I am sceptical whether that camera can recoup even a fraction of the R&D costs. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the D500 will be a financial disaster. :(

mikew_RIP

I think you are onto something here. The D300 sold 180,000 units in 2 years, the D300S sold 70,000 units in 6 years (disaster). The Canon 7D Mk II commands a minuscule 2.38% market share of DSLR cameras in a rapidly shrinking market, and now Nikon is going after that small percentage, two years late. I wonder if they can sell 10,000 of those.

I hope the D500 won't prove to be the iceberg that sinks Nikon, as I am sceptical whether that camera can recoup even a fraction of the R&D costs. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the D500 will be a financial disaster. :(

I was only joking but i guess it could be the case,dont think they will have a problem recouping R &D costs,worst case scenario they drop the price and wait a bit longer to get there investment back,after saying that one of the UK gray sellers has removed the 7DMK 11 from there list.

BackdoorArts

Again, really?!?!

First off, the D500 wasn't conceived and built in a vacuum. A careful inspection shows that it borrows tech from both the D5 and existing camera bodies, thereby lowering R&D costs. Had they shown up "two years late" to the 7D Mk II party with something that merely matched the 7D I might be inclined to share some of your skepticism, but with the exception of number of MP's this body is easily head and shoulders above anything Canon offers in the space. No, it's not likely to convince people to switch, but it's also more than enough to convince those who might have been thinking of jumping ship to stick around a while (if you do not believe me, then you haven't been listening to me - I'm one of them).

The last thing Nikon wants to do is to build in a way that will overshoot demand, so I look at any announcement that speaks to a potential shortage initially as nothing but good news - unless, of course, you already have your money in and need to wait a little longer. I'm not one of those, but I'll have one by summer, for sure. I'm done being an early adopter, but more for the reason that I hate changing my workflow because Adobe doesn't yet support the new RAW format.

Horoscope Fish

What's the big deal here? It sounds to me like response is so good that they're getting out ahead of things so that when pre-orders become backorders it's not as if they didn't warn you. Putting this camera into the hands of Nikon pros first makes all the sense in the world. It's what always happens. Don't make something out of nothing.
This whole post bears repeating.

Chris@sabor

I'm pretty new so take that into consideration, but I am very surprised by the negative reaction to this new tool on this thread and others?

BackdoorArts

I'm pretty new so take that into consideration, but I am very surprised by the negative reaction to this new tool on this thread and others?

Really? Is it truly negative reaction or just internet snobbery? Every in-hand review I've seen so far has been anywhere between positive and glowing. Yes, I've seen folks poke fun at the back of screen ISO 1 Million shots, but that's just jabbing at it with a stick to see what it'll do. If there's a single common question it's "Why only 20MP's?", and in my view if you look at the pro bodies out there most of them are in that exact range. Where more are necessary there are specialized cameras like the D810 and the 5dsr.

There are people who truly believe that Nikon can't deliver on anything promised without screwing something up, and you'll find that sure (just look at the posts above). But just because people believe in conspiracies it doesn't mean that they're real.

Horoscope Fish

If there's a single common question it's "Why only 20MP's?", and in my view if you look at the pro bodies out there most of them are in that exact range. Where more are necessary there are specialized cameras like the D810 and the 5dsr.
I always assumed using a sensor with "only" 20MP would allow those pixels to be slightly larger which makes for better low light/high ISO performance as well as faster buffer throughput due to the smaller file size. I'm no rocket surgeon but that seems fairly obvious to me... Am I completely off the beam here?

RocketCowboy

The pro DX body will be prioritized to Nikon pros first if supply is constrained? Sounds about right to me. My bigger question is whether the D500 will qualify for Nikon PS or not...typically it was only the pro FX bodies and/or the D8x00 when that model was current, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

I've not seen anyone of note complaining about MP's, but as I said it's the one feature that many will question at first. 20MP's are more than enough for most pros. Heck, look at the D4s and 1d Mk IV and 16MP's has been the pro body standard for a while, so 20MP's is actually a bump.

hrstrat57

Wah wah wah I bought a camera and a better one is coming out.....

Seriously people! It happens with all tech. Your camera is not suddenly junk and yes this one is going to better. Nikon will not go bankrupt by introducing better product but they might go belly up if they don't match or exceed the competitor!

Enjoy your camera and save your money for the better one coming out if you want. Or not......you'll still be taking good pics. Maybe not at 10FPS in 50 shot bursts and you may miss a shot or 2. Not a huge deal for a hobby photographer. A D500 is going to be better than your D300/D300s/D7100 or D7200. My pair of Nikons are old, my life goes on and I continue to enjoy them. In fact they continue to amaze and satisfy.

Can't we enjoy technology marching on without all the hate and nonsense.......???

I really don't see all the fuss.

Oh and I do want a D500 !! Meantime I'll keep shooting and smiling with what I got!