High ISO for D750

Finally got some time to go play with my camera today. Was just hanging out with a friend while he was shooting a home for a reality company. I had my camera and after he finished the inside we went out and shot a few and then waited for the blue hour to shoot a few more. I decided I would put the camera on ISO 1600 to shoot even though I had plenty of light and really did not need to shoot that high. After it got almost dark I decided to shoot at least a couple at ISO 12,800 just to see how it would do.

Here they are

01-13-16_0019-edit_nikon_d750_24_mm_1-125_sec_at_f_-_11_iso_1600.jpg

NIKON D750 24-120@24 mm 1/125 sec at f-11 ISO1600

01-13-16_0054_nikon_d750_24_mm_1-125_sec_at_f_-_4.5_iso_12800.jpg

NIKON D750 24-120@24 mm 1/125 sec at f-4.5 ISO12,800

mikew_RIP

Its certainly moved the goal posts :D a lot of us older folk are a little hesitant due to our previous experience with high ASA and now ISO,must admit the short time i had the 750 it opened my eyes.

Its certainly moved the goal posts :D a lot of us older folk are a little hesitant due to our previous experience with high ASA and now ISO,must admit the short time i had the 750 it opened my eyes.

I was hanging out with my mentor while he was shooting and told him what I was doing and he about had a heart attack. He shoots a high end Canon. I sent him a copy of the 12,800 photo this evening and shut him up pretty fast. He never shoots over 800. He is hoping the canon that is coming out soon will raise that to 1600. I just told him that i normally stay in the 100-1200 range myself but it is just good to know you can punch it up higher if needed and still get good quality. He did give my a print today that I have been threatening to steal from his office though.

Photo shot by Kevin Michael Snyder
4  snyder~ Walking the beach 24 x    2575-©2012.jpg

The Mother bear walked within a few feet of them and just continued of her way. Just past them she parked her cubs and left them and went on to a stream where she went fishing. The cubs were in between her and the photographers. When she was through she gathered the cubs and went of her way. The photographers were not in vehicles or covered. They were out in the open. So the story is as great as the photo. Now I have a matted 24inch copy of it to hang on my wall.

BackdoorArts

When my brother dropped off a pair of 1D's for me to play with he pretty much said the same thing. In a pinch he'll go to 1600 but preferred to stay at 800. With the D750 I actually never think about ISO in most situations. Here's 12800 straight out of the camera, zero adjustments 100% crop...

20160102-_E751558.jpg

I can clean this noise up easily even in Lr, not to mention Dfine 2.0. ISO 1600 on my D7000 was less usable than this. I've learned to rely on never checking my ISO and it's one of the things that has me not wanting to even consider shooting with the gear Canon I've been given to play with because it forces me to think differently and not in a way that's creatively inspiring.

Last edited:

TieuNgao

I've never tried at ISO-12,800 but I have quite a few photos taken at ISO-6400 and I'm quite happy with them even without doing noise reduction with software. With my previous D7000 the max ISO for my usable photos was 1600.

_DVT1414r.jpg

I've never tried at ISO-12,800 but I have quite a few photos taken at ISO-6400 and I'm quite happy with them even without doing noise reduction with software. With my previous D7000 the max ISO for my usable photos was 1600.

View attachment 194492

I don't foresee many instances where I would be needing to shoot at 12,800 but I just wanted to see if I could. I shot with the D7100 and tried to stay below ISO1600 and was really in that mindset when shooting. I really need to modify my thinking with the D750 and bump it up a little. May try ISO 3200 as my high end for a while and see if I can readily see the difference. Only going over as needed.

BackdoorArts

Oh, just give in to the dark, low light side of the force - turn on Auto ISO, set your Max to 12800, and never think about it again. ;)

Oh, just give in to the dark, low light side of the force - turn on Auto ISO, set your Max to 12800, and never think about it again. ;)

My wife will tell you that I am way to OCD to do that. You all know that I like to test things and play but when I shoot something for real I go back to my old school ways for the most part. I do try to change to match the new tech but it takes me a long time.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
My wife will tell you that I am way to OCD to do that. You all know that I like to test things and play but when I shoot something for real I go back to my old school ways for the most part. I do try to change to match the new tech but it takes me a long time.

I'm that way, too, but when I attended my October high school reunion, I wasn't sure how dark the venue would be. The camera store employee explained how to set my camera settings along with Auto-ISO. I used my D610 for it. It worked like a charm and really opened my eyes on Auto-ISO. I haven't used it since, but especially for low-light situations, I just might give it a go again. Take a walk on the wild side and try it. ;)

I have been sold on auto ISO for a while. I especially like the minimum shutter speed setting's auto mode that sets it according to what the length of the lens is. This is just one other thing I don't have to worry about when I am just out playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

I have been sold on auto ISO for a while. I especially like the minimum shutter speed setting's auto mode that sets it according to what the length of the lens is. This is just one other thing I don't have to worry about when I am just out playing.
Me as well... I keep an eye on all three aspects of exposure but knowing how well the D750 handles digital noise, coupled with Auto-ISO's ability to automatically keep my shutter speed in a safe range (typically speaking), allows me to concentrate faaaar more on things like composition and framing while I'm shooting. ISO, really, is pretty much an afterthought for me +90% of the time. On those occasions when controlling ISO is *that* important for some reason, well... Then I control it. But really, I just don't really think about ISO any more.

Blacktop

I still believe that the lower the ISO the better my shots look. I love having the capabilities of high ISO with low noise of my D750 and would never give that up, but I control ISO myself as much as I can. Of course tracking BIF/action is a different story where auto ISO is pretty much a must, but for static shots my ISO goes as low as the conditions allow it.

I would never think of shooting a barn or a landscape in good light at ISO 1600

Horoscope Fish

In good light Auto-ISO wouldn't jack up the ISO to 1600 to begin with; it would keep the ISO as low as possible while maintaining a shutter speed that is 1.5x the focal length of the mounted lens (assuming the Minimum Shutter Speed setting is at its default setting). If you want the shutter speed to be able to drop below 1.5x the focal length, you can do that; you just have to move the slider in the Minimum Shutter Speed setting of the Auto-ISO menu.

For added convenience, I keep the Auto-ISO settings on the "My Menu" menu so I can adjust, or disable, Auto-ISO quickly.

Blacktop

In good light Auto-ISO wouldn't jack up the ISO to 1600 to begin with; it would keep the ISO as low as possible while maintaining a shutter speed that is 1.5x the focal length of the mounted lens (assuming the Minimum Shutter Speed setting is at its default setting). If you want the shutter speed to be able to drop below 1.5x the focal length, you can do that; you just have to move the slider in the Minimum Shutter Speed setting of the Auto-ISO menu.

For added convenience, I keep the Auto-ISO settings on the "My Menu" menu so I can adjust, or disable, Auto-ISO quickly.

Yup, I do the same.

I still believe that the lower the ISO the better my shots look. I love having the capabilities of high ISO with low noise of my D750 and would never give that up, but I control ISO myself as much as I can. Of course tracking BIF/action is a different story where auto ISO is pretty much a must, but for static shots my ISO goes as low as the conditions allow it.

I agree. I shoot a lot in low light but have gotten so used to shooting long exposures on the tripod using small apertures so as to get great DOF especially since many times I can't really see enough to get a good focus anyway. But for really important stuff it is manual on a tripod these days or at least manual. The live exposure preview on the D750 is the best thing since sliced bread and works great for those important shots.