New to the D750

lostnomore

I just thought I'd share that I'm a new D750 - and Nikon - owner. I'm not quite as new to these forums as I've been lurking around for a few months, reading info and posting the odd post.

I must say that I haven't been this excited about photography for quite a long time. I started with a Canon film SLR in 1996, went digital in 2002 with a compact zoom since DSLRs were far too expensive at the time, then finally got an APS-C DSLR with another system in 2008. After owning 3 of their DSLRs and being very discouraged at their AF system, I decided - after quite a amount of research - to go with Nikon over Canon, thanks mainly to the D750.

My absolute favorite features thus far:

• My Menu - Incredibly easy to set up and change, plus I've customized quick access to it with the Pv button.
  • The RIDICULOUSLY fast, accurate, and silent AF!!!!! (With my 70-200 f/2.8 VR II lens)
  • 3D Tracking mode.
  • Very quick and intuitive changing of different AF area modes.
  • The f5 custom function, which allowed me to change menu navigation to intuitive, blazing-fast speed using the command dials instead of the 8-way controller and buttons.
  • Overall high degree of customization options.

The head-scratchers:
  • The goofy battery charger plug-in attachment (here in Canada, anyhow) that forces me to find a wall outlet or power bar with enough real estate to plug the charger into. Why not supply a cord as well so one can choose what they like better?
  • Why some functions can only be assigned to one/few buttons. For example, I love the "Viewfinder virtual horizon", to be able to see this in my viewfinder. But why can it only be customized to the Fn and Pv buttons? Why not also to the OK, AE-L/AF-L, etc. buttons?
  • Why only some functions can be assigned to a button instead of all functions.

These very few shortcomings aside, I'm absolutely blown away by what this camera has to offer, coupled with a great lens of course. But I guess to you long-timers, things like this are nothing new!

Last edited:
They used to furnish both the cord and the weird plug. That plug does come out and the cord for it is fairly common. I think it is the one that is used on a lot of electric shavers and things like that. I am a hoarder and can't bring myself to throw away cables of any kind. I will throw away the equipment but keep the cords and cables. I had one of these in my box. I have two cameras and 5 batteries and two chargers so I wanted both of them plugged in via cord.

I agree about the virtual horizon not being easy to get to. I would love for it to be superimposed over the picture in live view. Also a quick way to bring it up would be nice. I am new to the D750 also having come from the D7100 world so lots for me to learn too. My favorite thing about the camera though is the Exposure preview in Live mode. I can put it is live mode on a tripod and see the effect of changes in aperture and shutter speed and shoot and get the exact results I want without ever looking at the meter. It make shooting so very fast and easy and perfect.

Blacktop

I just thought I'd share that I'm a new D750 - and Nikon - owner. I'm not quite as new to these forums as I've been lurking around for a few months, reading info and posting the odd post.

I must say that I haven't been this excited about photography for quite a long time. I started with a Canon film SLR in 1996, went digital in 2002 with a compact zoom since DSLRs were far too expensive at the time, then finally got an APS-C DSLR with another system in 2008. After owning 3 of their DSLRs and being very discouraged at their AF system, I decided - after quite a amount of research - to go with Nikon over Canon, thanks mainly to the D750.

My absolute favorite features thus far:

• My Menu - Incredibly easy to set up and change, plus I've customized quick access to it with the Pv button.
  • The RIDICULOUSLY fast, accurate, and silent AF!!!!! (With my 70-200 f/2.8 VR II lens)
  • 3D Tracking mode.
  • Very quick and intuitive changing of different AF area modes.
  • The f5 custom function, which allowed me to change menu navigation to intuitive, blazing-fast speed using the command dials instead of the 8-way controller and buttons.
  • Overall high degree of customization options.

The head-scratchers:
  • The goofy battery charger plug-in attachment (here in Canada, anyhow) that forces me to find a wall outlet or power bar with enough real estate to plug the charger into. Why not supply a cord as well so one can choose what they like better?
  • Why some custom options can only be assigned to one button. For example, I love the "Viewfinder virtual horizon", to be able to see this in my viewfinder. But why can it only be customized to the Fn button? Why not also to the Pv or OK or AE-L/AF-L, etc. buttons? I want to use Fn for something else but I can't if I want quick access to this Viewfinder virtual horizon.

These very few shortcomings aside, I'm absolutely blown away by what this camera has to offer, coupled with a great lens of course. But I guess to you long-timers, things like this are nothing new!

Wait till you figure out where the lens defogger switch is. You'll be really blown away!:encouragement:

MartinCornwall

I would love for it to be superimposed over the picture in live view. Also a quick way to bring it up would be nice..

Do you mean like this Don?

DSC_9828.jpg

lostnomore

After I posted this last night, I was in my dimly-lit living room and playing around at f/2.8 with auto ISO, zoomed in to 200mm with the lens VR turned on, and I was getting remarkable shots hand-held, only the slightest blur - and the AF nailed perfectly dead-sharp EVERY time, WITH THE AF ASSIST BEAM TURNED OFF no less! My shots at ISO 12,800 were astonishing to say the least. However, I used the built-in NR set to normal, so that probably helps the noise factor. But the perfectly-nailed AF was what shocked me the most!

Needless to say, I'm in photographic heaven right now, probably to a degree not felt since my very first DSLR. And I've only owned the darned thing for less than 48 hours!!

I have been amazed at the AF on the D750. I shoot in very dark areas quite often and it pops right into focus. I have not really pushed the high ISO to much yet but I tend to shoot on the tripod in dark areas because I really like the long exposure look on many subjects. It id just so hard to push up the ISO on cameras and feel comfortable. I am so old school but am going to have to push my self to push the D750 at some point just to see what it can do,

lostnomore

Hey, I'm pretty old school too even though I'm still young enough to be considered 'new school'. My first SLR was a Canon back in 1996, so I cut my teeth with film. Anyhow, I was very reluctant with my old system to push ISO, but my Pentax K-3 had a Sony sensor just like the Nikons so I was pretty impressed with going beyond ISO 1,600. But what's coming out of my D750 at even 12,800 is like what people could only get at 1,600 only a few years ago. But again, I've also chosen some 'normal' NR, so that probably helps. 'Film' is cheap these days, so try it, you might even like it!

Hey, I'm pretty old school too even though I'm still young enough to be considered 'new school'. My first SLR was a Canon back in 1996, so I cut my teeth with film. Anyhow, I was very reluctant with my old system to push ISO, but my Pentax K-3 had a Sony sensor just like the Nikons so I was pretty impressed with going beyond ISO 1,600. But what's coming out of my D750 at even 12,800 is like what people could only get at 1,600 only a few years ago. But again, I've also chosen some 'normal' NR, so that probably helps. 'Film' is cheap these days, so try it, you might even like it!

You are just a baby..LOL My first SLR was a Olympus OM1 around 1978. So film was all there was. I had a home darkroom and eventually went into photo processing as a career. Managed one hour labs for years. All that background just tells me to keep ISO low. That is a hard habit to break. LOL

lostnomore

You're right, I'm just young enough to not be afraid to be experimental with computers and cameras. I realize that I likely won't blow anything up by pressing that button or selecting that new option!

Ad B

Hi,

my D750 is my 7th camera in 12 years...
I started in 2002 with a Olympus bridge, than came my first DSLR, a Canon 350D.
Followed by two other Canon cams, 40D aan 5D mkII.
the FF went to make place for 2,5 Year mirrorless fun (Oly E-M5 and E-M1).
One year back FF again... My D750...
It's a perfect cam for me, I can do everything I want to do with a cam.
Day and night, hot or cold, dry or (a bit) wet... Always
when I'm walking, riding bicycle, motor bike or car, or by plane... always.
It's almost more at my side as my wife... Just kidding...!
It's a perfect camera.

You're right, I'm just young enough to not be afraid to be experimental with computers and cameras. I realize that I likely won't blow anything up by pressing that button or selecting that new option!

Computers are a different story, I have a degree in computer programing and still do some programing and web design. I am always looking for the next thing there.

Zero

Hello everybody,
I started reading in this forum in 2013 when I got my D3200 and found a lot of helpful information.
While I was able to take many beautiful pictures with the D3200 I was not always satisfied with the auto focus and the ISO performance. I was waiting for the D400 and hoped for improvement. When the D500 was announced I talked to my friends (all Nikon shooters, they convinced me to get a nikon back in the day) and they said 2300 Euros? For that much money you can get a D750! And well, here I am. Today my D750 with the 24-120 F4 arrived in the mail. And holy smokes it is big and heavy! :p
I took over 90% of my pictures on holidays. Carrying around the D3200 and the 18-105 lens all day was still doable. Hopefully the improved image quality makes up for the increased weight and size! I am looking forward to shooting with it and I want to thank you for your nice forum where I found so much advice.

Hello everybody,
I started reading in this forum in 2013 when I got my D3200 and found a lot of helpful information.
While I was able to take many beautiful pictures with the D3200 I was not always satisfied with the auto focus and the ISO performance. I was waiting for the D400 and hoped for improvement. When the D500 was announced I talked to my friends (all Nikon shooters, they convinced me to get a nikon back in the day) and they said 2300 Euros? For that much money you can get a D750! And well, here I am. Today my D750 with the 24-120 F4 arrived in the mail. And holy smokes it is big and heavy! :p
I took over 90% of my pictures on holidays. Carrying around the D3200 and the 18-105 lens all day was still doable. Hopefully the improved image quality makes up for the increased weight and size! I am looking forward to shooting with it and I want to thank you for your nice forum where I found so much advice.

I went from a D7100 to a D750 and believe me once you learn how to shoot the D750 it is worth the extra weight. One of the keys to carrying it around is to get it off of your neck. Get one of the across the chest type straps they are more comfortable and secure and worth the investment. I use the Bostrap models and many people use the Black rapid straps. I like mine since it does not use the tripod mount for the strap but instead uses one of the side lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostnomore

I bought this strap system a couple of years ago. Not just the elastic harness but also the wrist strap, sling strap, and super classic strap. It was all very affordable and the products have held up very well. The adaptors are the only thing attached to all your cameras, binocs, etc and you simply clip on your strap of choice. One of the best photographic investments I've ever made!