Photoshop/Lightroom CC. Where to Start?

Zeke_M

That's the question.
I have a D7100. Shot some RAW images that I'd like to fix. Not sure where to start.
Four or five images doesn't constitute a workflow. I've tried both PS and LR. It's not going well.
Kelby's LR book is coming. I have Raw Therapee. That seems a little easier.

Seems to me PS would be a better place to start since I don't have a large volume of RAW images.

Where to now?

Moab Man

Phlearn.com offers a Photoshop 101 & 201. These are great video courses to teach you the photoshop tool.

Photoshop is a monster with unbelievable power that most will not need. Lightroom, for those that aren't already ingrained in photoshop, is supposed to be easier to learn.

ryan20fun

Well, You could start "playing" around with some raw files between ACR(Adobe Camera Raw)(PS/LR) and Rawtherapee and see which you prefer and what are the limits with your D7100.

HTH

Horoscope Fish

I'd like to dispel the myth that Photoshop is difficult to learn. It's not. It's really, really not.

Start here, with Anthony Morganti's Youtube series, Photoshop For Photographers.

There are a lot of other video tutorials you can find online that will help you, but this series is a great place to start. I'd suggest just watching the video one time, without even opening a photo, so you'll know how to handle Bridge and Adobe Camera RAW.

The great thing about Lightroom is the ability to catalog your photographs. I know that does not seem that important now with only a few photos to deal with and I was that way at one time. Now with 40 or 50 thousand over a number of years I had to go back and start using lightroom just to get a handle of what I had and where to find it. Better for you to start off right now. Lightroom is very powerful but you can start now with just the basics and get good results. You can then add additional features as you get more comfortable with the program. Photoshop is a lot more difficult but you can use Lightroom to get the basics and then go to Photoshop and do a few thing and then save back to Lightroom to finish up. This is easier than it sounds like since the commands to do all this are built into the programs. they are designed to work together.

nikonpup

lightroom. Import your files - do adjustments in the develop module - export. Find tutorials on the develop module in adobe, u tube or just google, develop module light room.

BackdoorArts

Lightroom and Photoshop are not hard. What's hard is learning what the digital photography terms mean, particularly if you've never talked photography before.

Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw are identical in function, just laid out differently. I find the concept of a single set of edits applied in a single application (i.e. Lightroom) is much easier to grasp at first than the idea of layers in Photoshop, so I'd start in Lightroom/ACR and keep studying. The Kelby book is good, but do yourself a favor and sign up for a free trial at Lynda.com and watch the Matt Kloszkowski LR series (he wrote the original Kelby books, Scott pretty much just put his name on them).

Moab Man

Phlearn.com offers a Photoshop 101 & 201. These are great video courses to teach you the photoshop tool.

Photoshop is a monster with unbelievable power that most will not need. Lightroom, for those that aren't already ingrained in photoshop, is supposed to be easier to learn.

To echo Fish and Hippie, I agree it's not hard. My reference to monster is its sheer size and capability. However, you can go as deep or shallow as you would like.

Mark Carroll

theres a fair few videos on adobe,s site that will get you going fast. theres also an app called learn cc by terry white that covers a lot of the cc programs including the mobile apps.