Another dumb question

salukfan111

I've been playing around with various telephoto lens and have been practicing on my bird feeder. I use the live view and zoom in but my eyes just aren't good enough to focus in perfect. Should I buy reading glasses (I'm near sighted 20/400 both eyes and actually take off my glasses to fine tuned MF)? I am quickly finding out that my 180mm f/2.8 heavily cropped (mf'd)provides sharper photos than any number of telephotos. I'd really like to figure out how see the screen better to figure this out.

thanks

cbay

I use a hood/loupe when using live view for video whenever possible. My eyes just can't get it done very well otherwise. World of difference. For birds i use single point AF, Back button.

My sight is not that great anymore either. That is why I work very hard to fine tune all my lenses and only use single point BBF focus. I rarely every get a photo that is not tack sharp

What is BBF ?

Back Button Focus. Bet thing since sliced bread

Back Button Focus is a great tool for so many photographers and is something I think everyone should try at least once. Below are a few sites that talk about the how and why of Back Button Focus.

Benefits of Using the AF-ON Button for Autofocus by Nikon USA

BACK BUTTON FOCUSING – EASIER THAN YOU THINK! by Improve Photography

Here is a good YouTube video that goes over the why and how of Back Button Focusing.

You can do a search of the forum on "Back Button Focus" or BBF and see the many threads that have been created on this subject.

Try it, You will like it.