Nikon D500 shooting test

hrstrat57

I Shot with the Nikon D500. Here Are My Thoughts

Want this game changing camera!

Flicker reduction is a feature in addition to the huge buffer, 10fps, iso3200 capability and best in class AF that may be huge for me.....LED banners in arenas ruin a few of my shots especially in long bursts as the LED banner display changes. Data is usually recoverable due to the fact that I shoot only RAW but not always.

What a camera! For what I do appears nearly a must have!

Thoughts, comments?

Moab Man

If this statement is true and correct, I am all in, but that is a BIG statement.

" What Nikon has done is basically made a DX sensor that shoots in the dark like a full-frame sensor. That’s how good the high ISO image quality is."

hrstrat57

A very difficult venue but with all due respect, I'm not impressed.

Can you link to some full size images ?

Cheers, Don

The author contact info is at the bottom.

Perhaps if you reach out to him he will provide more info......

I am not the author sorry for the misunderstanding......

I shoot D300/D700 combo I have not yet handled a D500....tho I have my LCS on notice and have been promised some first dibs.

Bill16

It seems like the pro type DX I would normally love to add to my kit! But I don't think a new body is in the cards for me(DX nor FX). But it looks awesome!:)

hrstrat57

It seems like the pro type DX I would normally love to add to my kit! But I don't think a new body is in the cards for me(DX nor FX). But it looks awesome!:)

Not so sure about that Bill, this bit appears aimed more for the kind of stuff I shoot.....sports, action and big plans down the road to shoot fast moving wild life. I think the kit you have now is amazing for the stuff you like to do, tho perhaps you haven't shared all your photographic secrets with us.

For still life, portraits, macro etc I think this thing would be overkill. Nikon's other offerings are extremely capable IMHO it is just that this bit takes the EOS 7D head on! The specs posted are flat out staggering!

I think you should have kept the D300 but we've agreed to disagree on that point! Mine remains absolutely awesome in good light and still does a decent job shooting outdoor action.

mauckcg

That is the same guy from the first "review." It isn't so much a review as a marketing puff piece. I'll wait till normal people can test it instead of the Nikon mouthpiece reviews like this one.

Bill16

Your right. My original plans were to buy the trinity and then a D810 to go with my D800E. But it still would have been a blast shooting squirrels with that DX.
But my plans have changed dramatically now. I might still buy the 14-24mm nikkor, but that will be it. That lens on my D800E will let me get landscapes I want to get, including older town buildings hopefully. The lenses I already have will have to do for any other types of shots.:)

Not so sure about that Bill, this bit appears aimed more for the kind of stuff I shoot.....sports, action and big plans down the road to shoot fast moving wild life. I think the kit you have now is amazing for the stuff you like to do, tho perhaps you haven't shared all your photographic secrets with us.

For still life, portraits, macro etc I think this thing would be overkill. Nikon's other offerings are extremely capable IMHO it is just that this bit takes the EOS 7D head on! The specs posted are flat out staggering!

I think you should have kept the D300 but we've agreed to disagree on that point! Mine remains absolutely awesome in good light and still does a decent job shooting outdoor action.

salukfan111

If this statement is true and correct, I am all in, but that is a BIG statement.

" What Nikon has done is basically made a DX sensor that shoots in the dark like a full-frame sensor. That’s how good the high ISO image quality is."
Within two weeks of this coming out we'll find out if this blows the D750 out of the water in low light. We'll find out once and for all if the performance differences between DX and FF are what happens downstream of the sensor or if the FF sensor really does have magical properties as many believe. If this is as good as advertised, then D7200 and D750 (maybe even D8xx) sales are gonna take a huge hit.

Last edited:

weebee

While I'm not in the market for any camera.....at the moment. I do enjoy going to Aquariums [FONT=arial, sans-serif]which normally have low lighting and no flash rules in effect. This could be a good camera for this sort of thing. Not knocking the 7100 though. It does pretty good at relatively high ISO.[/FONT]

mikew_RIP

Not knocking the D500 ( dont want a hit man sending round)but this could do more harm than good,it may shoot as well in low light as some FX but come on not all of them,i dont see FX getting knocked of poll position.

salukfan111

Not knocking the D500 ( dont want a hit man sending round)but this could do more harm than good,it may shoot as well in low light as some FX but come on not all of them,i dont see FX getting knocked of poll position.
We'll just have to see how it goes down once people other than FF fanboys review it against D750 and the others.