Wide format Resolution Selection

oops2001

Hello,

I usually watch my photos on my TV which has Full HD resolution. But all photos from the camera on default Large resolutions ( 24 MP ) get cuts at corners. I can see image size as L, M, S in camera options. Is there a way to set image size/format/resolution for wide format which comes full in my FULL HD TV.

Thanks

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,cant help with your question its been too many years since i viewed my images on a TV,some one will know though.

Fred Kingston

Your TV's HD aspect ratio is 16:9...That's 16 units wide by 9 units high.

Your camera's sensor doesn't do that. What you can do is use a photo editing program to crop your camera images to meet that aspect ratio. If you use LR, that's relatively easy because the LR crop tool has a pre-defined aspect ratio for 16:9

Dawg Pics

There may be picture control options in your tv settings. My cheap tv has some limited picture control and SD card settings.
I wonder if changing the screen's aspect ratio will help.

It would be helpful if you listed the camera, tv and how you are viewing the images. SD card or connection.

oops2001

Welcome to the forum,cant help with your question its been too many years since i viewed my images on a TV,some one will know though.

Thanks a lot mikew.

Your TV's HD aspect ratio is 16:9...That's 16 units wide by 9 units high.

Your camera's sensor doesn't do that. What you can do is use a photo editing program to crop your camera images to meet that aspect ratio. If you use LR, that's relatively easy because the LR crop tool has a pre-defined aspect ratio for 16:9

Thanks FredKingston,that's what I was thinking. But one of my friend has a SONY alpha camera and it has many changeable resolutions and a wide format 17MP resolution too. So that made me wonder if we have some option like this in D3300 too which would have been much easier.

Fred Kingston

I'm not aware of an aspect ratio adjustments in the Nikon cameras themselves. You basically expose a fixed size sensor to light, and then make whatever aspect ratio changes in post processing... You keep saying "resolution" and that's not applicable to what you want. Resolution has to do with file size and how many pixels your image has... Aspect ratio has to do with the "shape" of the image...

As an example... Standard HD is 16:9 as mentioned in shape... Your scan rate translates to pixels/inch... US TVs scan at 120cycles... so an HD image is 1920X1080. LR (and other programs) let you output(export) 16X9 at 120pixels/inch giving you just over a 2M file...

Size has already been address here so I won't go into that but I will tell you that since you are shooting in JPEG for now that you need to shoot in "Fine>>Large" so that you get the best quality that you can get. You can adjust the size in post processing if you wish. Nikon has a free program that will allow you to do some basic processing. It is called ViewNX2 and is a good program to get started with.

Now here is a tip you really do need to do now and your photos will improve a lot with no extra work on your part after you adjust this in your camera

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

Dawg Pics

It appears there is an HDMI output selection in your D3300 menu, if you are using that type of connection. It is in the menu with the wrench icon.

Also, check to see if there is a zoom function on your remote. Sometimes the simplest thing might solve the problem.

There is also something on the tv side called "overscan" that removes part of the image. Your TV display may have a setting for full display or something like that to address the overscan issue.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited:

WayneF

Hello,

I usually watch my photos on my TV which has Full HD resolution. But all photos from the camera on default Large resolutions ( 24 MP ) get cuts at corners. I can see image size as L, M, S in camera options. Is there a way to set image size/format/resolution for wide format which comes full in my FULL HD TV.

Thanks

There are several specifics not mentioned. TVs vary, both by brand and model. My Samsung and Sony are very different about showing JPG (Sony wins in usabllity, at least on that one feature). The least expensive models probably don't offer a USB port.

And of course, your viewing method can vary. Are you plugging a USB memory stick into the TV (so the TV does it), or do you use a cable STB (so the STB does it)? Or if using an old standard CD player, it can only be standard definition, it cannot do HD.

Your 24 megapixel image can work, but it is grossly too large, the TV has no use for more than about 2 megapixels. So your large image has to be resampled much smaller, to fit the 1280x720 (0.92 megapixels) or 1920x1080 (2.07 megapixels) TV screen. So the large image is slower, it can take 2 or 3 seconds to load and resample each large one.

I didn't understand about your "corners". My TV shows the image so the height fits the screen, but the width may not fill it. The DSLR 3:2 image shown on 16:9 HD format has narrow black bands at either side, cannot fill the width. Not much problem, it nearly fills it, but not fully.

On my TVs, the TV "fit to screen" options to stretch to fill the screen only applies to video and not to USB. It might apply to STB or CD players though? Dunno.

If you have a photo editor with batch capability, you'll be way ahead to crop for shape, and then resample for size (and speed).

You don't have to crop to 16:9 if it is OK that the image not quite fill the full screen.
But if you want full screen size, you will have to crop it to 16:9

Then for TV, batch resample, which in Photoshop, is the Resize to FIT 1920x1080. Or FIT 1280x720 if applicable to your TV. FIT to means it will not exceed those dimension, but a dimension may be a little smaller if the shapes are not the same. Meaning, your 3:2 images will get the narrow black bands at the side of the pictures on the TV screen.

oops2001

Size has already been address here so I won't go into that but I will tell you that since you are shooting in JPEG for now that you need to shoot in "Fine>>Large" so that you get the best quality that you can get. You can adjust the size in post processing if you wish. Nikon has a free program that will allow you to do some basic processing. It is called ViewNX2 and is a good program to get started with.

Now here is a tip you really do need to do now and your photos will improve a lot with no extra work on your part after you adjust this in your camera

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

Thanks a lot for the valuable tip. So this setting of Fine-Large-Sharness'7'-Saturation'+1' I need not change it ever and I can safely set it and forget it ? Are there any more one time important setting/s that I should do ?

I am also planning to buy a 50mm Prime Lense and a Nikon Infrared Remote. Please suggest initial 'must haves' accessories/lenses/filters or any other important equipment.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for the valuable tip. So this setting of Fine-Large-Sharness'7'-Saturation'+1' I need not change it ever and I can safely set it and forget it ? Are there any more one time important setting/s that I should do ?

I am also planning to buy a 50mm Prime Lense and a Nikon Infrared Remote. Please suggest initial 'must haves' accessories/lenses/filters or any other important equipment.

Thanks again.

For JPEG this is pretty much a set it and forget it. If you will notice though there are several different presets in there. If you plan on using any of the others you will need to reset the sharpness setting on each one of them.

Personally I am not a fan of the Nikon Infrared Remote. I have one and it is just to picky on when and how it wants to work. i don't remember which camera you have but there may be other options that work better. I you will put your camera in your profile it will help to answer these questions

If you fill out your profile and add the camera gear we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Under camera just put the model number like D7100; Once you put the first letter like D you will see a list of all the cameras in the database pop up. The more numbers you put in the smaller the list becomes. When you see your camera just click on it, Be sure to click on "Save Changes" in the lower right corner.

Thanks

oops2001

For JPEG this is pretty much a set it and forget it. If you will notice though there are several different presets in there. If you plan on using any of the others you will need to reset the sharpness setting on each one of them.

Personally I am not a fan of the Nikon Infrared Remote. I have one and it is just to picky on when and how it wants to work. i don't remember which camera you have but there may be other options that work better. I you will put your camera in your profile it will help to answer these questions

If you fill out your profile and add the camera gear we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Under camera just put the model number like D7100; Once you put the first letter like D you will see a list of all the cameras in the database pop up. The more numbers you put in the smaller the list becomes. When you see your camera just click on it, Be sure to click on "Save Changes" in the lower right corner.

Thanks

Hi Don,

Can you please suggest next 'must have' set of lenses/filters/accessories ( for my D3300 ).

As few of my friends have suggested that a 50mm 1.8D is good for 'general photography' and low light. So I am keeping this as my next purchase. Please suggest a good 'zoom' lense capable enough of close 'Moon' Shoots along with other lenses/filters-polarizers/accessories (if any).

As of now I am not limiting my shooting to particular type but planning to shoot everything from closeups,streets,Nightshots (sky), wildlife and Indoors.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Can you please suggest next 'must have' set of lenses/filters/accessories ( for my D3300 ).

As few of my friends have suggested that a 50mm 1.8D is good for 'general photography' and low light. So I am keeping this as my next purchase. Please suggest a good 'zoom' lense capable enough of close 'Moon' Shoots along with other lenses/filters-polarizers/accessories (if any).

As of now I am not limiting my shooting to particular type but planning to shoot everything from closeups,streets,Nightshots (sky), wildlife and Indoors.

Thank you.

I am guessing but you have not been shooting very long yet. Am I correct?

I would suggest that you do not buy any more lenses for a while. Get used to what you have and work with it till you get very good with it. By that point you will know what you want and need. You should never ask anyone what you should get because we will tell you what we like and that might have nothing to do with what you like. Do you really "Need" a 50mm at this point? I am also guessing that you presently have the 18-55 on it now. Set the lens on 50mm and walk around all day and do not shoot with anything but 50mm all day. Shoot indoors and out. On DX I hated that length. It was to long for indoors since it is the equivalent to a 75mm when it is on your camera. the "nifty 50" term came from the 35mm film days and was basically the same field of view your eyes had. To get that with your DX camera you would need something closer to the 35mm. After you shoot on 50mm only for a day set your lens to 35mm and walk around for another day and shoot that way. This will let YOU figure out what YOU like and not what someone else likes. Don't spend any money till you know what you want and then can't live without. I made a number of buys early that I regretted later so I try to let people know that waiting sometimes is a lot better. You save money and end up with better stuff.

oops2001

I am guessing but you have not been shooting very long yet. Am I correct?

I would suggest that you do not buy any more lenses for a while. Get used to what you have and work with it till you get very good with it. By that point you will know what you want and need. You should never ask anyone what you should get because we will tell you what we like and that might have nothing to do with what you like. Do you really "Need" a 50mm at this point? I am also guessing that you presently have the 18-55 on it now. Set the lens on 50mm and walk around all day and do not shoot with anything but 50mm all day. Shoot indoors and out. On DX I hated that length. It was to long for indoors since it is the equivalent to a 75mm when it is on your camera. the "nifty 50" term came from the 35mm film days and was basically the same field of view your eyes had. To get that with your DX camera you would need something closer to the 35mm. After you shoot on 50mm only for a day set your lens to 35mm and walk around for another day and shoot that way. This will let YOU figure out what YOU like and not what someone else likes. Don't spend any money till you know what you want and then can't live without. I made a number of buys early that I regretted later so I try to let people know that waiting sometimes is a lot better. You save money and end up with better stuff.

Yes I agree with you totally. Thank you. I should fully explore and learn about the potential of what I have as of now then take decisions.

Hi Don,

. To reduce the file size I am just attaching a print screen of the images but original ones are much sharper.

--> Last two photos ( and few others ) got very orange-ish, Is it could be because of low ISO and +saturation value ?
--> Can I always keep VR button ON and when should it be turned off ?
--> Should I keep saturation to 0 in case of shooting under street lights ( yellow ) ?
--> Any situation where Sharpness might be required to be lowered from +7 to standard default ?

Thanks.

Don't do screen shots, just resize the photo in your couputer and set the long side to 1000px and jpg and then it will work great here.

--> Last two photos ( and few others ) got very orange-ish, Is it could be because of low ISO and +saturation value ?
Has nothing to do with that. It is because of the light it was shot under. The white balance is off. You can correct that in Post Processing. Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? What are you using for post processing?

Keep it on all the time unless it is on a tripod and then turn it off.

--> Should I keep saturation to 0 in case of shooting under street lights ( yellow ) ?
See question #1. Has nothing to do with the saturation. Look up White Balance in your camera manual.

--> Any situation where Sharpness might be required to be lowered from +7 to standard default ?
Set it and forget it. don't touch it again.

oops2001

Don't do screen shots, just resize the photo in your couputer and set the long side to 1000px and jpg and then it will work great here.

Sure thanks a lot.

Has nothing to do with that. It is because of the light it was shot under. The white balance is off. You can correct that in Post Processing. Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? What are you using for post processing?

White balance is on auto I guess I will check that. I am shooting in JPEG only as of now. Nothing for post processing.

Keep it on all the time unless it is on a tripod and then turn it off.

Ok I will.

See question #1. Has nothing to do with the saturation. Look up White Balance in your camera manual.

Yes I will check the settings.

Set it and forget it. don't touch it again.

Done.

Many thanks again Don.

aroy

1)
If the image is getting cut while viewing in a TV, then
. It may be a problem with TV. In my TV the default HD mode cuts the HD movies shot with D3300. So to view the movie properly, I have to adjust the "ZOOM".
. You can select the source format from the TV menu. Select 3:4 or SD. If the image still cuts corners, use "ZOOM" function to resize the image.

2)
the 50mm F1.8D lens will not AF on D3300. You need the 50mm F1.8G lens. You can also think of acquiring the 35mm F1.8 DX, an excellent lens which is around US$150/ or less depending on the current schemes.

oops2001

1)
If the image is getting cut while viewing in a TV, then
. It may be a problem with TV. In my TV the default HD mode cuts the HD movies shot with D3300. So to view the movie properly, I have to adjust the "ZOOM".
. You can select the source format from the TV menu. Select 3:4 or SD. If the image still cuts corners, use "ZOOM" function to resize the image.

Sure . Thanks

2)
the 50mm F1.8D lens will not AF on D3300. You need the 50mm F1.8G lens. You can also think of acquiring the 35mm F1.8 DX, an excellent lens which is around US$150/ or less depending on the current schemes.

Yes next planned lens is 50mm F1.8G for me. Never heard of DX is it better than G ? Thanks