35mm or 50mm lens?

Bonnie U

Hi all! I'm hoping to get a lot of feedback on this. I'm looking for a great prime portrait lens for my D3100. So far I'm stuck between the 35mm and the 50mm lens. I'm leaning toward the 50 and have read a lot about it but, again, I'm indecisive on the 1.4 and the 1.8. I've read to save the extra money and go for the 1.8 that it's just as good as the 1.4.
OK... feedback?!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
First if it's a portrait lens that you're looking for, the 50 is the one to get for DX format. Now I have the 1.8 and it's a very nice lens. It's only drawback is the bokeh is a little harsh. The 1.4 apparently produces a smoother, creamier bokeh. Have you thought about buying second hand… Maybe you could get both thew 35 and 50. Food for thoughts.

Mestre

Well, first i bought a 50 f/1.8 and, honestly, the difference for the f/1.4 isn't worth the price.
6 months later I found a 35mm f/2 with a good price in ebay so now i have both. The 50 is used outdoors abule the 35mm is great to use indoors.

Mike150

You might consider renting one of the lenses for a few days. Take lots of pictures. Then rent a different lens, take similar pictures and compare your results. If I remember correctly, there is a is company on the west coast. www.borrowlenses.com that has reasonable prices.

theregsy

On a personal note I prefer the 50mm for portrait work, I like the feel of it more than a shorter lens. But I don't have either as an AF-S I have an older E series f1.8 50mm which is a brilliant low light lens and even though its manual focus is a pleasure to use, the other lens I use for portrait work is my 28-300mm but that is nearly always out to 50 - 75mm when getting good portrait shots. Good luck with your choices, can't wait to see results :)

Last edited:

evisphoto

If the question is to buy either the 50 1.8G or the 35 1.8G, the answer is, YES!, as in they are cheap enough and different enough to buy both. I can say that I am much more satisfied with the 50 1.4G than I was the 50 1.8D. The 1.8 was a fine lens, dont get me wrong, but the 1.4 has much smoother and creamier Bokeh, and is well woth the xtra money IMO.