Automotive Photo Shoot

Will V|Photography

So I met the owner of this car...

Porsche 356 Cabriolet by FLWill, on Flickr

...over the weekend. He's a realy nice guy and seemed to really enjoy this shot. So much so that he wants a print for his home. He was also hinting at a possible shoot in the near future to cover the interior, engine, and the rest of the car. Therein lies the problem. I've never done a car shoot for profit before and I have no idea what to charge. This is also for personal usage (not a magazine) so that adds another aspect to the equation.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this proposition? I'm certain I can handle the actual shoot, but what do I charge? Do I charge for my time and just provide a CD (I know, I know)? Do I do the shoot and just charge for prints? I'm completely lost in this area...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could charge your time + prints. I would not give him a CD or digital files unless they would be sized for internet and could not be used or sold for future use in a print media without your knowledge. It's one thing to give out prints or files, but if the person sells the files afterwards, you loose big time.
Just my humble opinion.

JoeLewisPhotography

I price them as they come...depending on what they want. For the last one I did, I charged $100 for my time, and prints were additional. They opted for a 10x20 story board and a few small prints which suits this kind of shoot perfectly. Afterwards, they wanted a disc so they could have desktop wall paper, show off to their friends etc. I was hesitant about this, but i ended up selling him one anyway because the pics were too personalized (having his son in the pics etc). I explained all copyright still remains with me and did not give them a copyright or a print release. All of my copyright info is imbedded in the EXIF anyway. I only also did this because the person was a friend of a friend. normally I would not, and only sell prints...unfortunately in this digital age...people dont know how to share photos etc without email, so they almost always ask about digital copies.

Last edited: