hdr blend issues?

thequeenscheese

Hi, can someone help0 me out, using photomatix to blend a hdr i repeatidly get quite grimm results:

origional 3 pics

photomatix_041.jpgphotomatix_042.jpgphotomatix_043.jpg

shot with a d5300 kit 18-55 lens using auto bracket option

result photo

photomatix_040.jpg

lightroom is a bit better using itself or merge in photoshop but gives similar noisy off colour results, i have used both before and got averagely decent results not sure if they were all with the d3200 i previously had tho - could i need an update for 5300 to run the programs correctly?, or is it just bad shooting from me?

thanks

paul04

I am no expert on this, but I would say that very high iso is not helping, and introducing a lot of noise.

Try and get more light on the subject to help getting that iso down.

BackdoorArts

You're using Auto ISO with HDR which can get you into higher ISOs than you want. That said, I also suspect you're merging JPEGs and not RAW files, which will contribute to this. I also find that the image barely requires bracketing to get a decent exposure. In the bracket series your 0 image is overexposed (blown out highlights) and the rest of your adjustments are based on that. Your underexposed image has no lost shadow detail and the over exposed image doesn't show me anything that your 0 image doesn't already have.

If you're shooting RAW, set the exposure on each image to -1.0 and then rerun from there and see what you get.

thequeenscheese

cheers I did suspect that iso is too high, what would you recommend with this camera? and why does the auto on the camera take it that high or even have that setting?

they are shot in raw not jpg.

I was after a darker image which is why I'd left the light as is, it was more of a point and shoot than a set up shot, not sure the few beers helped either haha

Make sure you are using a tripod first of all and set the ISO on 100. That gets you the best chance of getting a really good shot. Also in the auto ISO you can set a maximum and I would suggest maybe ISO 1600 or at most ISO 3200 for that camera. Even at 1600 you are going to start seeing some noise and at 3200 probably more noise than you want to see. Also I would never give it 2EV difference in exposure. 1 would be my max. But your middle shot has all the detail already and does not need HDR at all.

mikew_RIP

cheers I did suspect that iso is too high, what would you recommend with this camera? and why does the auto on the camera take it that high or even have that setting?

they are shot in raw not jpg.

I was after a darker image which is why I'd left the light as is, it was more of a point and shoot than a set up shot, not sure the few beers helped either haha

The highest ISO on any camera doesn't have anything to do with its usability for most situations,they are just headline numbers you need to find the highest in any given situation that gives results your happy with.

thequeenscheese

thanks guys, I'll deffo set it to a max of 1600 or just under, if I was putting any real effort into a shot then I'd use a tripod for sure I was just playing really with the camera and different hdr's as I'm quite at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to those..

Blacktop

thanks guys, I'll deffo set it to a max of 1600 or just under, if I was putting any real effort into a shot then I'd use a tripod for sure I was just playing really with the camera and different hdr's as I'm quite at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to those..

For stationary objects, landscapes and other things that don't move around where you have time to set your shot, I much prefer manual ISO in Aperture priority.
Take this same shot, put the camera on a tripod , put the cam in Aperture mode (preferably a small aperture. HDR doesn't play nice with bokeh) set your ISO to 100 and bracket away no more than 1 stop apart. Half stops would be better.

thequeenscheese

right so i dropped the iso down, and brckt to 1 stop, from these images

DSC_1340_2566.jpgDSC_1341_2567.jpgDSC_1342_2568.jpg taken with flash on manual

i get this in photomatix

Capture.jpg

i beggining to wonder if photomatix is struggling with the d5300 maybe its not suported as dxo8 does not support the d5300 either?

Blacktop

View attachment 193235View attachment 193236View attachment 193237 taken with flash on manual

i get this in photomatix

View attachment 193238

i beggining to wonder if photomatix is struggling with the d5300 maybe its not suported as dxo8 does not support the d5300 either?

Something is going on for sure. I'm just out heading out the door off to work. I wish I could stay and help you figure out what is going on. Maybe one of the retired folks around here with nothing to do can help.:)

thequeenscheese

seems it is a definate photomatix problem with either win10 or the d5300 as this is the result in lr-merge in ps

Untitled_HDR2.jpg

so can anyone else test photomatrix for me with d5300 and win10?

i did also notice that in what i consider good ambient light (small romm white walls with main lights on 3x40w bulbs) that the shutter required was a lot less than id expected - 1/8 with iso 200 f8 shooting a water bottle on the same white gloss desk, but ill guess all thats ok..

View attachment 193235View attachment 193236View attachment 193237 taken with flash on manual

i get this in photomatix

View attachment 193238

You probably have AUTO ISO on so as you are changing the Exposure compensation the camera is changing the ISO to compensate for your Exposure Compensation. All three shots are the same exposure.