Another new member from East Tennessee says, "Hi."

koi327

We live approximately 35 minutes to the northwest of Knoxville, TN on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau. My wife and l are both retired. Many years ago she was a newspaper reporter and photo editor and had her own darkroom until she got her degree in finance. l've done a little of everything, lab technician, draftsman, surveying, QC for TVA, etc. l was never that interested in photography until 3 years ago when she bought me a trail camera for Christmas. Since then l have accumulated about a dozen trail cams, most are set up on our 17 acres and we get plenty of pics of deer, raccoon, turkeys, coyotes, fox, bobcat, fishers, hawks, owls, etc. Bear and elk have been spotted within a mile but l haven't been lucky enough to get a photo yet.

Enough about trail cameras, that's another subject altogether. l started point and shoot photography a couple years ago with an Olympus Stylus 790SW, then a few months ago found a Nikon Coolpix S9100. But l haven't really been serious about it until the last few weeks. My wife has a new Nikon 7100 and gave me her 8 year old Nikon D80. l'm getting more familiar with it, have shot in the Auto, P, S, and A mode but haven't tried manual yet. My wife also has a Canon (don't know the model number) that can't be over a couple years old that she isn't using anymore, so there is another prospect. We are surrounded by woods and mountains, very little open land to take good landscapes but plenty of potential pictures within hiking distance. Here's one of my first DSLR photos. pond old homeplace.jpg

Last edited:

Blacktop

Welcome! We're having quite the gathering of East Tennesseans lately.:encouragement:
Lovely part of the country that we live in, isn't it?

koi327

Yes it is, Blacktop. l'm about an hour and twenty minutes north of Cleveland, about halfway between Oak Ridge and Wartburg off of Hwy. 62. You have plenty of scenery down your way to shoot, the Ocoee River, Chicamauga Lake, Lookout Mtn, etc.

Blacktop

Yes it is, Blacktop. l'm about an hour and twenty minutes north of Cleveland, about halfway between Oak Ridge and Wartburg off of Hwy. 62. You have plenty of scenery down your way to shoot, the Ocoee River, Chickamauga Lake, Lookout Mtn, etc.

I know that area as well. :encouragement: