Sigma 17-50mm lens Santa brought me.

cichy1012

Ok so for Christmas my wife (santa) bought me a 17-50mm lens by sigma. Maybe she saw me looking at it one night and took note, but here it is. My question is I usually shoot with a 70-200 mm or 85 mm for portraits. Ive been a single subject shooter and by no means a pro photographer, more or less trying to better myself each day. But generally what uses does the 17-50 mm lens target? groups? close ups? Portraits? I dont have any lenses that shoot that low.

Blacktop

Ok so for Christmas my wife (santa) bought me a 17-50mm lens by sigma. Maybe she saw me looking at it one night and took note, but here it is. My question is I usually shoot with a 70-200 mm or 85 mm for portraits. Ive been a single subject shooter and by no means a pro photographer, more or less trying to better myself each day. But generally what uses does the 17-50 mm lens target? groups? close ups? Portraits? I dont have any lenses that shoot that low.

On the D7100 you can shoot wide angle stuff(not Ultra Wide) like landscapes, interior shots . At the longer end (50mm)even portraits. It is also a nice walk around range. I prefer something that gets me a little closer as well, like an 18-140mm but a 17-50mm is nice as well on a DX body, especially being a 2.8 lens

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It sounds like you do a lot of people photography. This lens would work well for indoor group shots. You just don't want to go too wide because there will be distortion on the widest end. 35mm would work well indoors for groups. Definitely don't do close ups of individuals with this lens--again because of the distortion. If you do, people's noses will be elongated!

It's great for landscapes, too, although I don't know if you are into outdoor photography.

cichy1012

It sounds like you do a lot of people photography. This lens would work well for indoor group shots. You just don't want to go too wide because there will be distortion on the widest end. 35mm would work well indoors for groups. Definitely don't do close ups of individuals with this lens--again because of the distortion. If you do, people's noses will be elongated!

It's great for landscapes, too, although I don't know if you are into outdoor photography.

I do mostly outdoor photos of people, would this lens do well with say a small group or family shots?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, like Blacktop said. It will work extremely well. It's not the kind of lens to use when standing close to people because it will add distortion. Every lens has its own features...and as you found out, the telephoto lenses are idea for portraiture. Wider lenses are good for group shots, architecture, and landscapes to name a few.

nsomnac

Do you have any shots you can share from this? I'm considering getting this or one of the Tamrons. But finding samples from a D7100 (especially with f2.8 and motion) is non existent.

Jim