D3300 as Webcam...

qualtalk

I just downloaded digiCamControl which is going to be extremely helpful.

A quick question: does anyone know how I can use our Nikon D3300 as a webcam on our Windows 10 PC?

I can see the image from the lens using Lv mode, but I can't figure out how to access this image on the webcam menu.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,you need to check to see if the camera can out put live video,i have a feeling it cant,only stuff from the card.

qualtalk

@mike - Thanks for the quick reply.

The D3300 can put out live video via the USB port, as I can see this on the PC screen when using the Lv mode on the digiCamControl application on the PC. In addition, the camera has a live video output via the HDMI port. The challenge is that I can't figure out how to make either of these ]function as a webcam source on the PC.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Glevum Owl

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for your post as I wasn't aware of digiCamControl. The software uses Microsoft's NET framework to operate. I suspect that for Windows 10 to natively 'see' the D3300 as a video device, as opposed to a USB storage device, requires an OS driver. As far as I know, no such driver exists.

After a quick play with it, digiCamControl seems to do everything a webcam can. What exactly are you trying to do?

vladhed

YEah, was poking around too - want to use my D3300 as a camera for MonkeyJam free animation software. It requires the camera have a DirectShow driver (e.g. like a webcam or a miniDV camera) but I haven't been able to find one.

Right now I'm using DigiCamControl as a monitor so that I can take pictures without being near the camera. It auto copies images which I can then import into MonkeyJam for editing.