Hardwood grip for D7200, D7100

Yossarian9

I am gauging if there is any interest in this: hardwood grip for a Nikon D7100 or D7200 (or any Nikon DSLR for that matter)

• No it doesnt accept a spare battery
  • No it doesnt have any buttons.
  • Yes it is a firm handhold especially for +90o vertical/portrait shots (-90 degree verticals hurt my wrist, hence the need for this)
  • Yes it is hardwood with stain and poly. Pictured is cherry wood.
  • Right now it is a prototype.... but I find I am liking it.
  • It is not as tall as a functional, but plastic grip. Approx: 131x75x24 mm wide/deep/tall.
  • Next one will sit more forward so as to allow a DSLR not tip forward when a heavy/long lens is attached.
  • If i can find a female insert for the standard tripod screw I'll add it to the bottom.
  • Its probably an option to have a name/number stamped into the bottom.

What ya think. I cant take credit for the idea. There are others building wood grips out there.
Yossarian.

woodnikongrip.jpg

weebee

I honestly can say this doesn't do anything for me. Sorry. I wouldn't trust it if my hands were sweaty or wet. There's no tripod socket. If it was thicker and had some knurling on to give it some detail and grip it might be more attractive. Plus, I like grips that have the extra battery and controls for vertical work. But, if these were made for vintage cameras that are shelf queens...that might prove interesting.

My personal opinion is NO. I never had a problem with the grip on my D7100 or D750 and I have very big hands. Also I really don't like the wood on the black body. IT just looks homemade. For $90 just buy the grip that was made for the camera and includes a battery and additional functional buttons.

But again, this is just my opinion.

Bill16

Oh I see from your photos your using it in your left hand when vertical! :) Interesting idea, but most of us grip users hold the grip in our right hand, so the controls in the grip are pretty important! The next reason for the grip for me would be extra gripping surface(which needs either a rubber or checked like a gun grip), and weight to add more balance to the camera which might be something you could do to improve your grip.:)
I would suggest(since I love wood work) that you might try to model grip after existing grips, using a very nice grained wood like curly maple and a inset folding wingnut bolt, or coin bolt for attaching it to the camera.
But for my personal needs and preferences, I only tend to buy OEM grips with all the extras, like L brackets for an example, so tripod use is made easy and stong with all the grip controls functional!:)

But I do like your creativity, and maybe this left handed grip idea might take off with some photogs! I do understand that, since I use fishing reals that are left handed retrieve(like a lefty) though I am right handed!lol :D