Lightroom 6

dave42

I am confused. Please straighten me out.

I am convinced I'd like to get stand alone Lightroom 6. It seems to do all that I want... even HDR!

Do I, or do I not have to get Adobe Camera Raw to convert .NEF files from my D7100 before using those files in Lightroom 6?

Is Adobe Camera Raw software free, or an additional cost item?

Is the best way to buy Lightroom 6 is to download it from Adobe to get the latest version? Or does the stand alone version get updates?

Can the final product be exported as a jpeg in LR6?

Thanks for your time. I think I know the answers, but just want to get heading down the right path... :)

Last edited:
From what I understand Lightroom is just a version of Adobe Camera RAW on steroids. That is the way I have heard it explained before. So I don't think you need a separate piece of software to use it. That being said you will be missing a number of new features when you use it instead of the Creative Cloud version. And no feature updates. With the CC version you will always have the latest and greatest of both Lightroom and Photoshop for 9.99 a month

[h=4]With Lightroom 6:[/h]
  • Lightroom 6 only on your desktop
  • No feature or version updates (only camera compatibility updates and bug fixes)
  • No mobile or web services
US$149.00

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
No! Adobe Camera Raw will NOT covert your files. Adobe Digital Negative Converter will do that if you wish. Lightroom can handle the NEF's as is, or you have the option to convert the NEF's to DNG's which are smaller in file size. As was mentioned, you can choose how you want to export so if you want jpeg, you can set it to export as jpegs.

dave42

Nice! No middle step between NEF and LR6!

Better to buy hard copy, or just download from net?

Can you tell I'm new to RAW stuff? :)

nickt

Just download the trial and let the clock run down a bit. (maybe you'll hate it). If you buy the disk, it will just download the latest update
anyway. Consider the cc subscription during your trial month. I was resistant to subscription software, but glad I finally broke down and got it. I don't think you get the dehaze tool with the stand alone version, by the way. You probably will get the tool with the trial, but it will go away if you purchase the stand alone.

Blacktop

Nice! No middle step between NEF and LR6!

Better to buy hard copy, or just download from net?

Can you tell I'm new to RAW stuff? :)

I take it then you are not interested in the subscription model, which also includes Photoshop? I have to ask since you didn't mention it.

cbay

Having satellite internet pretty much forced me to get the stand alone. I do miss a couple local adustments (white & blacks), but aside of that it's all good. Feels good to own something and not have to be connected to the internet. Adobe is a resource hog parasite as far as i'm concerned, but i sure do like Lightroom!

Having satellite internet pretty much forced me to get the stand alone. I do miss a couple local adustments (white & blacks), but aside of that it's all good. Feels good to own something and not have to be connected to the internet. Adobe is a resource hog parasite as far as i'm concerned, but i sure do like Lightroom!

You don't need an always on internet to use Adobe CC. It is loaded on your computer just like the standalone. Depending on your subscription it onlys logs in every once in a while to check in.

cbay

You don't need an always on internet to use Adobe CC. It is loaded on your computer just like the standalone. Depending on your subscription it onlys logs in every once in a while to check in.

When i had CC i had to disconnect my wifi to keep Adobe from using resources. For me, it would not start "offline" without first starting it with an internet connection. Then i could shut down my internet while the program was running and still use it. That was the only way i could get it to run without internet. Irregardless, i keep the wifi on for other uses and CC was more than i could handle in terms of bandwidth. Even now with the stand alone if i have a connection it will be using resources no matter what i do, so i usually shut the wifi down when i do my editing.

When i had CC i had to disconnect my wifi to keep Adobe from using resources. For me, it would not start "offline" without first starting it with an internet connection. Then i could shut down my internet while the program was running and still use it. That was the only way i could get it to run without internet. Irregardless, i keep the wifi on for other uses and CC was more than i could handle in terms of bandwidth. Even now with the stand alone if i have a connection it will be using resources no matter what i do, so i usually shut the wifi down when i do my editing.

Makes me happy to have a always on unmetered 60mbs connection.