Post your classic mistake

mikew_RIP

Just dont know how i didnt see this:confused:

DSC_3610.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

To me, this is more of a snapshot. A snapshot can have lots of "things" wrong with it, but still capture the moment. I don't know what this moment was, but the pole in the background doesn't bother me. Neither does all the other crap on the left.

Whiskeyman

To me, this is more of a snapshot. A snapshot can have lots of "things" wrong with it, but still capture the moment. I don't know what this moment was, but the pole in the background doesn't bother me. Neither does all the other crap on the left.

Very well put, Jim. I frequently have things like this in my shots, and if I got rid of all of the shots that had something like this in them, I'd get, optimistically, maybe five or six shots a year with my family in them. Sometimes, capturing a moment is much more important than taking a great photograph.

That being said, my classic mistake is from the film era; that being the failure to engage the film in the winding sprocket, then realizing it at about shot 40 on the roll of film. I don't have photo of that, though...:shame:

WM

Sandpatch

One: Distrusting new technology, as in not using continuous/burst mode and trusting my sense of old skool timing ...... and botching fast action shots. [Lesson learned!]

Two: Leaving a lens in my truck, assured in my mind that I'll not need it for the shot. Then after a hike, finding that the lens I left behind is perfectly suited for what's needed. [Lesson mostly learned!]

Last edited:

Sandpatch

... That being said, my classic mistake is from the film era; that being the failure to engage the film in the winding sprocket, then realizing it at about shot 40 on the roll of film. ...

Oh my goodness yes! Been there! :( I finally got in the habit of watching the film rewinding knob rotate when I advanced the film.

That being said, my classic mistake is from the film era; that being the failure to engage the film in the winding sprocket, then realizing it at about shot 40 on the roll of film. I don't have photo of that, though...:shame:

WM

I remember doing that. I managed or owned film labs for many years. We had people bringing in rolls of unshot film wanting it processed all the time. If you remember when the film was loaded in the camera properly if would give the film a little crease in the end tab. That was how we would know that it had never been processed. Lots of customers would blame us for ruining their film.

My first mistake with my D750. Was out shooting waterfalls when we saw that kayakers were going to go over the falls. Got a good location. Set up my exposure. Got all set with the continues shutter at high speed. The only thing I forgot was the the buffer was not large enough to run for the entire ride down the falls. I started shooting about 10 feet before he went over the falls and this is the last shot I got before I ran out of buffer. Next time I hope I remember to set it to JPEG Fine,

750_1095-Edit-Edit-Edit NIKON D750 55 mm 1-1500 sec at f - 4.0 ISO 1000.jpg

Would have been a wonderful series IF IF IF

mikew_RIP

Your not far wrong :D its a grab shot of two guys fishing in a no fishing area for the post your fishing thread,i didnt want them to know in case they got reported and thought it was me,i cant swim.

I may keep a copy and post it every time a film rules thread starts,20 years ago i probably could have spotted the post out and a quick spray with matt coat displayed behind none reflective glass,content aware is so much easier :D