Camera & lens

bikeit

I have the D7100 and the 70-200 F/2.8 lens and use the BlackRapid curve strap, so i will be doing a sports shoot in a few weeks which will last about four or five hours, so as the lens is pretty heavy for long use am i better to attach the strap to the camera or the lens? if its to be attached to the lens how can i do this?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Usually a lens of that weight comes with its own tripod collar/mount. The reason is because the body's mount can only tolerate so much weight. My Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 has a tripod foot. Best to use that to support the weight rather than the mount on the bottom of the camera's body.

Moab Man

Did you buy the 70-200mm used? Like the others said, there should be a collar attached to it with a foot and tripod screw hole. If it doesn't have one then get on.

I would also suggest the use of a monopod. That's how I shoot games.

mauckcg

Yea i now know that, so i guess i need to buy a monopod?

I have used the strap on both t he camera and the lens. I use a monopod from time to time but typically i hand hold. Whether you use the monopod or not depends on how fast the action is going to be, and how strong you are.

Horoscope Fish

So how does a monopod attach to the camera / lens?
The monopod will have some kind of head on it, most commonly a "ball head". If it doesn't come with one -- and the more expensive monopods do not -- you'll need to buy a head separately. The head will have a removable plate that screws into the tripod socket of your camera. The plate, with camera connected, then connects to the ballhead. With the knee-joint connected to the hip-joint, and the ball-head connected to the monopod joint, you're off to the races.

Last edited: