Old school lenses

realdutchie

I have the D5300. My father in law left me some "old"analogue lense from Praktika. Can i use them with the D5300 with a adaptor?
Does it work , can i damage the camera?

mikew_RIP

I have the D5300. My father in law left me some "old"analogue lense from Praktika. Can i use them with the D5300 with a adaptor?
Does it work , can i damage the camera?

Welcome to the forum,i guess they could be used via some form of adapter but to be honest it most likley isnt worth it,you would be totally manual and lose infinity focus and the lenses where made before the picture quality your camera can produce.

Even if you could get adapters they would be fully manual lenses and probably no metering either. And I would bet the quality would not be very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aroy

Normally adapting M42 mount lenses for Nikon F mount does not work fully and you will loose long distance (depending on the focal length) range. The reason is the registration distance which is one of the longest in 35mm world. That means that shorter registration distance of M42 mount will not focus to infinity (or much ahead of it).

Apart from this the focus is manual and so is the metering. Though Praktika had good lenses, modern Nikon are much better - sharper and faster in general.

The only East European lenses worth using are the Telephotos - 300mm to 600mm and that too in mirrorless bodies.

hrstrat57

M42 lenses adapt perfectly to Sony and Minolta A mount cameras. Quality metal A mount to M42 screw mount lens adapters can be had on eBay for under $15

I have several and they are most excellent. One of the few negative things about F mount is cannot focus to infinity with any adapter that does not have glass in the way.

Pick up an older model A mount camera on the cheap (Sony A100, A200 etc) and have some fun!