Advice re: Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens

rhucks

I've read conflicting reviews of the Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens. Has anyone used it with the D3100? If so, I'd be interested in the results. I'm a novice photographer, but I'm intrigued with the prospects of "macro" within a budget (to see if I'm capable of producing some quality shots). Thanks for any input (please dumb it down for me).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Please keep your money for something worthwhile. Just buy a magnifier and hold it up or tape it in front of you lens and it will give you exactly what this "Super Macro Lens" is promising.

bluenoser

Banned
Frankly I think it's a great value for what it delivers. I have known a number of people that have used this Raynox attachment with great success - and just using a point and shoot camera! Here is a quick example from a friend using a Canon point and shoot with the Raynox 250 attached:
IMG_5380_brown%20wasp%20side%20view%20%7C%20Flickr%20-%20Photo%20Sharing%21

3570443592_95330d169e_o.jpg

IMG_5380_brown wasp side view | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For the price, it's difficult to go too far wrong here however getting a "proper" dedicated macro lens would be optimal. Perhaps a used Nikon 60 2.8 D lens - can be had for very reasonable prices (i.e. $200-$250).

vdub804

Why not get the new nikkor 40mm 2.8 dx, ordered one for my d3100 it was only $279 plus shipping

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Bukitimah

Before I got the Raynox, I was using a Nikon manual micro lens. Although the lens is very sharp, being manual, I have to manually focus. I was using the Nikon D5000 then. With aging eyes, it is never easy to focus well.

I then switch to Raynox. I must say it produce good result and I am able to use the auto focus plus VR. Of course it is never meant to be a dedicated macro lens. some of my friends have produced fantastic result using the Raynox. So, in my opinion, it is a cheap way for macro.

Carolina Photo Guy