Can This Image Be Saved?

Prefrosh01

I took the image below on my daughter's birthday. It would be a good picture, except that the focus is on the cupcake and not her face. I am really disappointed in myself and wish I had the opportunity to go back and do it again...but I guess it is part of the learning process and is more motivation to improve my skills.

Can this be fixed in post processing though sharpening? I do not know how to really process images but learning how to is one of my photography goals for 2016!

DSC_7164_JPG_resized.jpg

Here is a link to the RAW File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2q75xtxw3vpucn/DSC_7164_RAW.NEF?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

J-see

The short answer to the question "Can this image be saved?" is no.

I've given it a shot with RL deconvolution but it's too soft to really sharpen in post, unless you go smaller and smaller with the final shot.

DSC_7164_RAW.jpg

Here's the full:

DSC_7164_RAW-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Blacktop

I took the image below on my daughter's birthday. It would be a good picture, except that the focus is on the cupcake and not her face. I am really disappointed in myself and wish I had the opportunity to go back and do it again...but I guess it is part of the learning process and is more motivation to improve my skills.

Can this be fixed in post processing though sharpening? I do not know how to really process images but learning how to is one of my photography goals for 2016!

View attachment 191950

Here is a link to the RAW File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2q75xtxw3vpucn/DSC_7164_RAW.NEF?dl=0

Thank you in advance!

Can you retake the shot ? If yes, try putting the focus point on her eyes. Trying to "fix" this shot will only make it worse.

I for one kind of like it the way it is. The focus is on the #3 . After all it's her 3rd birthday and that is pretty important.:)

Prefrosh01

Thank you for the replies. That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

As to the focus, I thought I had moved the single point to her eyes, is the result due to the f/5 aperture that was used? Or did I simply "miss" the shot?

Blacktop

As to the focus, I thought I had moved the single point to her eyes, is the result due to the f/5 aperture that was used? Or did I simply "miss" the shot?

If you had the focus point on one of her eyes, then your camera is front focusing and it may need to be fine tuned.
Do you have any software like Nikon View NX2 to check where the focus point was?

Sandpatch

Nonetheless, the shot brought me a big smile and it should be kept as is. As she grows, you'll forgive yourself and will treasure the photograph ...... and the memories. :eek:

john*thomas

It's a fine photo to just post for others to enjoy. Technically it may not be what you wanted but it seems to tell the story one would want.

I know you were looking for a technical answer.

Horoscope Fish

What Focus Area Mode were you using for that shot? If you used AF-Auto the camera may have moved the focus point to the nearest thing in the viewfinder because that's sort of what AF-Auto does, it typically assumes the nearest object in the viewfinder is the subject and gives it focus priority.

480sparky

What Focus Area Mode were you using for that shot? If you used AF-Auto the camera may have moved the focus point to the nearest thing in the viewfinder because that's sort of what AF-Auto does, it typically assumes the nearest object in the viewfinder is the subject and gives it focus priority.

How does the camera know what is closest to it?

wornish

I had a try using intensify as you can mask the area you want to work on, i.e. her eyes and face.
I then used smart sharpen in PS.

I think its a little better but as the others said the original is a shot you will treasure.

recovery.jpg

Horoscope Fish

How does the camera know what is closest to it?
I would assume it's a function of the auto-focus algorithm, determining what to focus on. In my experience AF-Auto will tend to go to focus lock on the foremost object it can. If that's not your experience please feel free to elaborate.

480sparky

I would assume it's a function of the auto-focus algorithm, determining what to focus on. In my experience AF-Auto will tend to go to focus lock on the foremost object it can. If that's not your experience please feel free to elaborate.

In order to do that, it needs to know the distance to each possible subject in the frame. This would require it to focus on everything it can, take a measurement, then focus on other possible subjects in the frame. If there's 5 or 6 possibilities, it will need to do this 5 or 6 times.

Does your camera do that? Mine sure doesn't. It locks onto a contrasty subject, which is how AF modules are programmed to function.

Horoscope Fish

In order to do that, it needs to know the distance to each possible subject in the frame. This would require it to focus on everything it can, take a measurement, then focus on other possible subjects in the frame. If there's 5 or 6 possibilities, it will need to do this 5 or 6 times.

Does your camera do that? Mine sure doesn't. It locks onto a contrasty subject, which is how AF modules are programmed to function.
I'm saying if I'm photographing something, for example, on the far side of a fence, AF-Auto will tend to focus on the fence, not what's behind it.

Why do your questions always sound antagonistic, by the way?

Kevin H

I'm saying if I'm photographing something, for example, on the far side of a fence, AF-Auto will tend to focus on the fence, not what's behind it.

You need single focus point to shoot threw a fence If had 9 focus points on this guy I would have focused on the weeds single focus point right between the eyes and this

PS don't blow it up look at time of day ISO and shutter speed LOL

Last edited:

480sparky

Perhaps the camera was already focused at a closer distance. Once it detected the contrast in the fence needed to 'achieve' focus, it stopped there. Try putting the lens to infinity first and repeat.

My questions don't have any 'sound' to them. They're written words. The antagonism isn't intentional.

Horoscope Fish

Perhaps the camera was already focused at a closer distance. Once it detected the contrast in the fence needed to 'achieve' focus, it stopped there. Try putting the lens to infinity first and repeat.
Or maybe AF-Auto is picking the largest, closest object in the frame...

The “Auto-Area AF” (Nikon) or “Automatic AF Point Selection” (Canon) Mode is the “point-and-shoot” method of acquiring focus. Depending on what you are photographing, it will automatically pick what to focus on. It is a pretty complex mode, because it will actually recognize skin tones of a person in the frame and will automatically focus on him/her. If there are multiple people in the frame, it will focus on those that are closest to the camera. If the camera does not detect any skin tones, it will typically focus on the closest and largest object in the frame. If you shoot in Single Area/AF-S mode and select “Auto-Area AF”, the camera will actually display what focus points it will use for a second, allowing you to see and confirm the area the camera will focus on. The same thing can be done on Canon DSLRs, but it is called “Automatic AF point selection in One-Shot AF mode”. I never use this mode, because I want to control where to focus, instead of letting the camera do it for me.

Source: https://photographylife.com/dslr-autofocus-modes-explained

My questions don't have any 'sound' to them. They're written words. The antagonism isn't intentional.
Written words convey tone and I think you know that.

480sparky

Or maybe AF-Auto is picking the largest, closest object in the frame...

Source: https://photographylife.com/dslr-autofocus-modes-explained

Written words convey tone and I think you know that.

FWIW, I just tested my D600 and 50mm in my kitchen window. The window has a screen, as well as internal divided light mullions. I'd say 70-80% of the time, the camera chose my neighbors' car, or the mailbox, or the light pole over the window. Even when I manually turned the lens to minimum focus, it would focus past the window to lock onto something outside.

So yes, I have a different experience.

From your link:

On the other hand, the “Passive AF” system works very differently – instead of relying on the red beam to find out the distance between the camera and the subject, it either uses special sensors within the camera to detect contrast from the light that goes through the lens (known as “Phase Detection”), or uses the camera sensor itself to detect contrast in the image (known as “Contrast Detection”). What does “detect contrast” mean? Without going into complex terminology, this simply means that it tries to look for sharpness in a particular part of an image.

No mention of 'largest/closest'.

As for the perceived antagonism, it's purely unintentional.

Last edited: