Noise and aperture issue on d7200

hossein1351

Dear friends, i upgrade from d5300 to d7200, but i feel the noise of d7200 is higher than d5300 and d5300 was better photo quality in low lignt, one more things i face to that issue, when i using auto mode without flash in low light, on d5300 make open aperture maximum and lower iso, but in d7200 not open maximum aperture instead, using higher iso, i using 50mm 1.8 in same condition on d5300 keep aperture to 1.8 but on d7200 make aperture 4 or more with higher iso. is there is any setting for that or all d7200 is like that?
Thanks

Dear friends, i upgrade from d5300 to d7200, but i feel the noise of d7200 is higher than d5300 and d5300 was better photo quality in low lignt, one more things i face to that issue, when i using auto mode without flash in low light, on d5300 make open aperture maximum and lower iso, but in d7200 not open maximum aperture instead, using higher iso, i using 50mm 1.8 in same condition on d5300 keep aperture to 1.8 but on d7200 make aperture 4 or more with higher iso. is there is any setting for that or all d7200 is like that?
Thanks

It will help if you will upload an example from the D7200. Make sure you re-size to 1000px on the long side so that the EXIF is there.

Also what mode are you shooting in? Auto, P A S M
Are you using AUTO ISO and it so what settings are you using?
I can tell you that the D7200 will do a much better job than your D5300 did but you must know how to shoot it.

hossein1351

It will help if you will upload an example from the D7200. Make sure you re-size to 1000px on the long side so that the EXIF is there.

Also what mode are you shooting in? Auto, P A S M
Are you using AUTO ISO and it so what settings are you using?
I can tell you that the D7200 will do a much better job than your D5300 did but you must know how to shoot it.
i will upload image, when i using auto flash off mode, as i said in low light in d5300 will aperture fully open f/1.8 and lower iso but in d7200 aperture is around 4 and higher iso.if i put limit for iso to not raise high then aperture will be fully open.
Thanks

Blacktop

@Don Kuykendall is correct. You need to get out of auto mode, otherwise all you have is a very expensive point and shoot camera.
Learn the Exposure Triangle and see how each piece interacts with one another.

Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle - Digital Photography School

I was the same when I started out myself. I was not happy with the images I was getting from my phone, so I tried a point and shoot camera. Still not happy I read about DSLRs and purchased a D3100. I was using it in auto mode at first like a point and shoot and could not figure out why my expensive(to me) new camera was not producing better pictures than my phone.

I then did much searching and realized that if I wanted better images I would have to learn photography, which means more than just pointing the camera and clicking the shutter.

nickt

It sounds like you understand exposure since you know that the camera could have made a better aperture choice to keep iso lower. Recognizing that auto did not meet your needs is a good sign that you are ready to move ahead. Like Don Said, P mode is not bad. Very automatic, but you can easily choose to pop the flash up or not. You can also change the aperture/shutter combination with the command wheel in P mode. Shutter or aperture priority used with auto iso also gives a very good 'automatic' experience while still giving you some control.

i will upload image, when i using auto flash off mode, as i said in low light in d5300 will aperture fully open f/1.8 and lower iso but in d7200 aperture is around 4 and higher iso.if i put limit for iso to not raise high then aperture will be fully open.
Thanks
say High ISO what ISO is it using?

Last edited:

hossein1351

say High ISO what ISO is it using?
Thanks alot Don, i using other modes also but i surprise higher grade camera function is not like d5300 in same mode, when you using fast lens should open maximum aperture instead raising iso up to 3000 to 4000 almost. that's confusing me, maybe i think my camera function is not right.

nickt

when you using fast lens should open maximum aperture instead raising iso up to 3000 to 4000 almost. that's confusing me, maybe i think my camera function is not right.
I just tried my d7100 with the 50 1.8 on Auto, no flash. I get F4 as well until things get really dark. I never use Auto.

hossein1351

I just tried my d7100 with the 50 1.8 on Auto, no flash. I get F4 as well until things get really dark. I never use Auto.
Yes, but i think its an issue and Nikon should be solve it in next firmware update, because should give priority to open aperture not raising iso

Nikos_St

Try to learn the manual mode.. It does miracles.
I did the same change from D5300 to D7200 and the gap is chaotic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When you want to have a certain aperture, you have to use Aperture mode.
You could also check to see if "auto-iso" is NOT activated in your camera set-up menu.

If you think the camera is intelligent enough to know what you wish to photograph with it... You are dead wrong.

The camera is only a tool to capture light reflected off and it is the user responsibility to learn how the camera is set and use the proper mode to achieve the desired result. For some it is a steeper learning curve and for others it's easier.

Getting a better camera does not guarantee better results more than buying a race car would make you a race driver...

Take your time and find out how to use the camera and I'm certain that you can achieve superb quality shots. You can browse around different forums and see for yourself that the D7100 is more than a very capable camera when used with experience.