BIF settings on the D750

Kent Ferris

Curious what you all use for capturing Birds in flight.

Min shutter speed
tracking? How many points...etc...

Shooting with a Sigma 150-600 sport if that matters.

Blacktop

AF-C with single point, Minimum shutter speed 1/1600, maximum ISO 6400

I have this saved in one of the user modes for quick access.

Rick M

Curious what you all use for capturing Birds in flight.

Min shutter speed
tracking? How many points...etc...

Shooting with a Sigma 150-600 sport if that matters.

You really need to adjust for conditions, at least 1/500 and the lowest ISO the shot will allow. Same with focus points, 9 points near the center is a good starting point.

Kent Ferris

AF-C with single point, Minimum shutter speed 1/1600, maximum ISO 6400

I have this saved in one of the user modes for quick access.

Great idea...i'll do that. I'm surprised you use single point. I just moved from pentax and used a tracking setting and seamed to work really good. I heard the Nikon D750 was worlds better.

mikew_RIP

Great idea...i'll do that. I'm surprised you use single point. I just moved from pentax and used a tracking setting and seamed to work really good. I heard the Nikon D750 was worlds better.

If you download into NX-i and show focus points it will tell you straight away if multi or single is best for you,i found i kept single where i wanted it but with multi it jumped on and off the BIF.

Blacktop

With BIF ( and any other shot of wildlife/human for that matter) getting the eyes in focus and sharp is the most critical in my opinion.
I can get all the feather detail and all the beautiful motion of the bird in perfect focus, but if the eyes are out of focus, the whole shot is ruined.
Tracking with single point gives me the best results.

2nd bold letter response.
Yes ,so far it is the best focus locking, tracking camera I have ever used. As a matter of fact, I also use a D7100 (which BTW is a great DX camera) but it won't come close to the D750 when it comes to spot on focusing most of the time.

Kent Ferris

If you download into NX-i and show focus points it will tell you straight away if multi or single is best for you,i found i kept single where i wanted it but with multi it jumped on and off the BIF.
I think I'll try the single point to start off with. I have a plug in for Lightroom that shows the focus points...it's very helpfull