D70S Wide Angle for Real Estate Applications

Hi, I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help that you guys can provide me. I am new in the real estate business and will soon have the need to start photographing my listings. I plan on using Photomatix Pro software and shoot in HDR so that I can combine the same images with different exposures to really "bring out" the photos (forgive my lack of correct technical terms...I'm just getting started here ). I have a Nikon D70S with a Nikkor 18-70 mm 1:3.5-4.5 G lens. I have seen in other places that many people recommend the Tokina 12-24 mm for real estate photography applications. Others have also recommended a 16-35 mm lens. Here are my questions: 1. Will my existing 18-70 lens suffice since it will almost cover the 16-35mm range? 2-. I have a Digital Optics .5X Pro High Def with Macro lens adapter. Will this effectively convert my 18-70 lens into a 9-35 lens and will image quality remain consistent with the quality of the 18-70 lens? 3- If using the .5X adapter with the 18-70 mm lens is an option...I then have this issue: My 18-70 lens is 67mm and my macro adapter is 62mm. Do they make an adapter ring to adapt the 62mm base to the 67mm threads on the 18-70 mm? 4- Will the D70S shoot HDR with no issues? I am going to try and dig into the manual this weekend. Also ,Does anyone have any experience with the Tokina 12-24 mm lens? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,not going to do much in the way of answering as my knowledge of wide angle is very limited,my thoughts on the D70s is i feel you may need to upgrade to something with a better sensor,good HDR is arrived at by taking a few shots from underexposed to correct and over exposed,then they are blended together,the older sensors will not cope as well with incorrect exposure.
Some later cameras have a built in type HDR but the D70s does not as far as i know.

Here are my questions: 1. Will my existing 18-70 lens suffice since it will almost cover the 16-35mm range? 2-. I have a Digital Optics .5X Pro High Def with Macro lens adapter. Will this effectively convert my 18-70 lens into a 9-35 lens and will image quality remain consistent with the quality of the 18-70 lens? 3- If using the .5X adapter with the 18-70 mm lens is an option...I then have this issue: My 18-70 lens is 67mm and my macro adapter is 62mm. Do they make an adapter ring to adapt the 62mm base to the 67mm threads on the 18-70 mm? 4- Will the D70S shoot HDR with no issues? I am going to try and dig into the manual this weekend. Also ,Does anyone have any experience with the Tokina 12-24 mm lens? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

1. No, not wide enough
  2. You will lose a lot of quality with these kinds of adapters.
  3. See answer #2
  4. HDR is not really good coming out of any camera. To get HDR worth anything you need to shoot multiple shots correctly and process it in the correct software. You will be much better off shooting it correctly to begin with and forgetting HDR
  5. The best option is to get the Tokina 11-16 to shoot interiors and then as with any wide angle lens you will need to do a lot of perspective corrections so the walls are caving in.
  6. You really need to upgrade your camera if you are serious about shooting for work the camera you have is very outdated. You would be better off buying one of the nice Coolpix cameras and letting it do most of the work. It would be better quality than what you presently have.