A couple of DX lenses on my D750

I have only given this a brief look so far but it sounds interesting. I was reading an article about DX lenses on FX cameras today and they were only discussing two lenses. Both of which I have and love. The 35mm DX and the Tokina 11-16. There were caveats about both but still good results. The 11-16 was the most intriguing since they were saying at the long end (16mm) that it did not have any problems to speak of which if my math serves me correctly if roughly equivalent to what the 11mm would be on my D7100. I did put it on the camera the other day and it did look pretty good especially at the 16mm end. So many time you lose the corners anyway when you correct for distortion at that wide an angle. This has become one of my favorite lenses over the last year or so since I started shooting it a lot. Will be interesting to take it out and shoot it in a real world shoot. The 35mm would be a nice range to shoot at especially since I always thought it was a little to long for normal walk around. I always thought something around 24mm would be better. I will have to at least give it a try and see what it does.
This is not shooting in the DX mode but straight FX mode.

Has anyone tried shooting these lenses on their Full frame cameras?

J-see

I can't say anything about the Tokina but I shot the Nikon 10-24mm DX for a while on my D750. Around 15mm she filled the sensor on my cam but even when it was possible, the corner performance was below standards.

I didn't notice it that much when shooting nature but the moment I shot architecture (straight lines and/or patterns), the result was meh.

Will have to try it out in the factory shooting I do. there are a number of small spaces I shoot in there that have a lot of lines so if it will work there it will pretty much work anywhere. Shots like this one should be a good test also

750_0556-edit_nikon_d750_24_mm_0.7_sec_at_f_-_8.0_iso_100.jpg

This one was shot with the 11-16 on my D7100
10-12-15_0022-edit-edit_pratt_gin_co_nikon_d7100_-_1-45_sec_at_f_-_2.8_-_iso_400_.jpg

J-see

The main problem with the 11-16mm is it probably only be usable as a 15-16mm. Maybe 14mm if you're lucky.

That's a pretty limited range compared to most available "zoom" wides.

If it quits raining long enough tomorrow I may at least walk out into the back yard and try them both out on the D750. It can't hurt and it might work. Nothing to lose but a little time and since I have 6 Saturdays a week I can handle losing a little time. :)

J-see

It indeed doesn't hurt trying. I shot the DX wide for some time but in the end upgraded her to an FX version.

I'm curious if the 35mm will work. I myself have the FX version which makes me assume their DX version might not fill the sensor on the D750.

You'll quickly find out when testing.

pforsell

The AF-S 35/1.8 DX is pretty good on FX. It doesn't vignette at closer subject distances much and the vignette is not abrupt or black, on the contrary it actually looks good! On longer subject distances (and infinity) the vignette gets darker but it pretty much stays in the corners and don't matter much. If someone finds it objectionable, a small crop and voilá, you get about 40mm f/1.8 image.

I think Nikon did overengineer this lens. The large image circle means that on DX sensor the edges and corners of the image are extremely good. The bokeh is also pretty good. The old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't fit this lens: you get more than what you pay for.

I only sold mine because I already have 4 other 35 mm primes (Nikon AFS 35/1.4, Nikon AIS 35/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Nikon AIS 35/2).

singlerosa_RIP

I shot the Tokina for a while when I got my D600, but was disappointed in the results @15 and 16mm. The IQ didn't seem as good as it had been on my D7000. Sold the Tokina (to Blacktop) and bought Nikon's 14-24. No comparison; not even close.

Blacktop

I shot the Tokina for a while when I got my D600, but was disappointed in the results @15 and 16mm. The IQ didn't seem as good as it had been on my D7000. Sold the Tokina (to Blacktop) and bought Nikon's 14-24. No comparison; not even close.

Yes, that was a fantastic lens on my D300 at the time. Then I had to sell it to finance part of my D7100, then I bought another one, then I had to sell it again to finance part of my D750.

Now back to @Don Kuykendall's thread. Sometimes it's fun to play like that, but not for serious stuff. I put my 18-55mm on my D750 a few weeks ago because I remember what a great little lens it was on my D3100. Even in DX mode the results were very disappointing.:)

Ok I hope the EXIF Data shows up but these should be in order. All shot in JPEG Basic and uploaded directly with no processing at all
1st one shot with the 24-120 at 24mm
2,3,4 shot with the 11-16, #2 at 2.8, #3 at 8.9 and #4 at f22
4, 5 , 6 shot at f16 at the same ranges and order

750_0628.jpg750_0629.jpg750_0630.jpg750_0631.jpg750_0632.jpg750_0633.jpg750_0635.jpg

Got to looking at them in Lightroom and realized the 24mm and 16 mm looked very close. Did a little checking and the D750 automatically switches to DX mode when a DX lens is attached. Will have to turn that function off and see how it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill16

I'm much more interested in seeing your great work on a really good FX ultra wide angle lens Don buddy! This wide angle shooting is something I hope to get good at someday, after I get a wide angle lens up to a D800E's needs of course! Lol :)

Moab Man

I shoot my Tokina 11-16mm on my FX without hesitation and with great results. Yes, there is warpage at the corners. But a long time ago I read an article that talked about how as photographers we over-analyze to death our photography when the people viewing them will never see them the way we do. It also said to pick up an magazine and look at the photography the way we do our own and you will see all the flaws we find in our own work because it is our own. Point being, I've moved past being too critical that I miss what is great in the photograph.

Last edited:
I did get to try it without the auto switch to DX and at 11mm it is not usable at all. at 16mm you get slight vignetting at 2.8 but almost none at higher f stops. I was shooting in JPEG Basic so I will need to switch back to RAW and try it again so I can get an idea about the quality. But the auto switch to DX is interesting anyway. It will be interesting to see some of those in the DX mode and see if the quality is OK

I doubt I will use any of them for now since the 24-120 it pretty wide. If my math skills are close that would give me the same field of view as the 11-16 shot at 16mm did on the D7100. So I can pretty much live with that most of the time. I think a super long lens would come before the super wide anyway.

singlerosa_RIP

I shoot my Tokina 11-16mm on my FX without hesitation and with great results. Yes, there is warpage at the corners. But a long time ago I read an article that talked about how as photographers we over-analyze to death our photography when the people viewing them will never see them the way we do. It also said to pick up an magazine and look at the photography the way we do our own and you will see all the flaws we find in our own work because it is our own. Point being, I've moved past being too critical that I miss what is great in the photograph.

Agree with the article, but... I shoot mainly for myself and if I'm not happy, I'm not happy. I can enjoy seeing something without taking a picture of it. That's what photography has taught me. But if I'm going to take a photograph, I want it to be as good as it can be. Taking a snapshot is another story.

Moab Man

Agree with the article, but... I shoot mainly for myself and if I'm not happy, I'm not happy. I can enjoy seeing something without taking a picture of it. That's what photography has taught me. But if I'm going to take a photograph, I want it to be as good as it can be. Taking a snapshot is another story.

I agree with what you're saying. My point is that I have a balance has to be found as I don't think any of us have taken a picture that we couldn't find something we would like to change if we stare at it long enough.

Last edited:
I agree with what your saying. My point is that I have found a balance to be found as I don't think any of us have taken a picture that we can't find something we would like to change if we stare at it long enough.

I agree. It all depends on what I am shooting and WHY. Sometimes there is a shot you have to get no matter what. Sometimes it is low light and you really have to crank up the ISO and get the noise up higher than you want to get the shot. You need it you shoot it. I think using my 11-16 in the DX mode follows the same rules. The 24-120 will fill most of my wide angle needs but there are a couple of places I go that I need the extra wide of the 11-16 so I may forgo the IQ of the corners to get the shot I have to have or at least till I can afford a true Full Frame wide angle lens. Any one know of a really good deal on a wide angle prime for FX? Don't really need the zoom or even auto focus. I have found that even with the 11-16 I just set it just on the short side of infinity and shoot away and it is always in great focus as long as I am at least at lest 6 or 8 feet away from the subject.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I agree. It all depends on what I am shooting and WHY. Sometimes there is a shot you have to get no matter what. Sometimes it is low light and you really have to crank up the ISO and get the noise up higher than you want to get the shot. You need it you shoot it. I think using my 11-16 in the DX mode follows the same rules. The 24-120 will fill most of my wide angle needs but there are a couple of places I go that I need the extra wide of the 11-16 so I may forgo the IQ of the corners to get the shot I have to have or at least till I can afford a true Full Frame wide angle lens. Any one know of a really good deal on a wide angle prime for FX? Don't really need the zoom or even auto focus. I have found that even with the 11-16 I just set it just on the short side of infinity and shoot away and it is always in great focus as long as I am at least at lest 6 or 8 feet away from the subject.

Wait. What? You are using an 11-16mm DX lens which is @ the equivalent of 17-24mm. The corners aren't so hot so if you crop, then aren't you around the equivalent of 18-19mm?

I really like my Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G (not the D) although it doesn't have VR. Sharpness tests rate it higher than the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 (which has VR). Tokina also makes a 16-28mm f/2.8 wide angle zoom which is a better price than the Nikon while also being faster. I don't think it has VR either. The Sigma wide angle zoom for FX isn't rated all that well.

I started looking at the Nikon after seeing so many of RickM's photos when he shot a D600. It's very lightweight but is a heavy hitter with image quality.