File names with more than 4 digits?

escape

Is it possible to configure the D5200 to create file names that contain more than 4 digits? The default format seems to be "DSC_xxxx.jpg" which means that after you take 10,000 shots, the file names will start repeating. I realize they'll be put in a different folder on the SD card, but for my personal archiving, I'd much prefer to not have multiple photos with the same file name.

Thanks!

skater

Some cameras will let you change the DSC part of the filename. I have my D7000 set to D7K so I didn't accidentally overwrite any of my D70 pictures when I'm pulling them off the camera. But, yeah, long term, you need to manage the files - either break them into directories or rename them or something.

paul04

Once you have uploaded the photos to your PC, you could put them in to folders, like one folder for each month of the year. Works for me.

Then format the card in your camera.

I use Lightroom and it allows you to change the name on import. The system I have been using is 10-25-2015_0019 the shooting date and the trailing number the number of shot that day always starting at 0001. I find this gives me a nice reference to find what I am looking for. Starting at 0001 every shoot also lets me know at what point in the day did I shoot the photo.