Sensor Cleaning

06Honda

What size VisibleDust Swabs do you use for the D7200 sensor? Package at local camera store have 3 different sizes:

1.6x (16 mm)
1.3x (20 mm)
1.0x (24 mm)

Daz

After being pushed in the direction of the Sensor Cleaning stick I would recommend that over swabs if you can get your hands on one :)

Daz

I can only Agree wholeheartedly with Don !! After getting over the initial fear of sticking something in my camera, I will never think of using anything other than the Gel Stick !!

GracieAllen

I haven't used the Sensor Gel Stick, but the photographer running a workshop I took also felt that they were the easiest and safest way to clean the sensor............

I had a DIFFERENT problem... One day, the D810 started getting a fuzzy line near the corner of one edge - naturally the TOP edge so it showed in shots with the sky where I couldn't ignore it. And, of course, once I SAW it I couldn't STOP seeing it!
Used the camera to clean the sensor, still there. FINALLY, back at home, I opened it up, and used a magnifier to look at the sensor... I had a MINUTE hair or length of fuzz of some sort that was sticking out in front of the sensor. It wasn't ON the sensor. I tried to get it out with the rocket blower, and gentle persuasion, and finally VERY VERY gingerly took a pair of tweezers, reached in and grabbed it. It was stuck between two metal pieces (shutter perhaps?) and I had to give it a tug to get it out, but out it came. No more fuzzy thing on the edges of my images although I had visions of hitting the sensor with the plastic tweezers and having to send the body back to Nikon for a new sensor...

480sparky

.........I had visions of hitting the sensor with the plastic tweezers and having to send the body back to Nikon for a new sensor...

I doubt plastic tweezers would have damaged the sensor. In fact, you would have to disassemble the camera down to access the sensor.... it lies behind the low-pass filter, which is made of rather durable glass.

I watched a video on the gel stick after reading the posts here. Checked out the link from Amazon but still did not understand how it worked. This 12 minute YouTube video was pretty cool.

Looks pretty cool. https://youtu.be/fetJfPILU3o

It is sightly sticky but not like glue sticky. It picks up the dust and it stays on the slick. When you get through there is a supplied paper that you blot the gel stick on the the dust sticks to the paper to clean the get stick for the next use of the cleaner.

GracieAllen

480sparky, you underestimate my ability to do something astonishingly stupid................. If it CAN be done wrong, I'll do it. Usually TWICE 'cause I don't learn the FIRST time......