My Days With Nikon Could Be Numbered

BackdoorArts

What would it take to get you to abandon your Nikons for another camera?

Better yet, what would it take to get you to switch even if you were absolutely happy with the equipment you have?

That's the question I'm currently asking myself. Why? Because circumstances are such that I may be given - yes given - a pro-level Canon kit. With that would come the ability to purchase additional gear at a substantial discount. In other words, with the exception of my IR cameras, I could likely sell off my Nikon equipment replacing it with equivalent new Canon gear at a break even or perhaps even a make-a-profit margin. It also gives me the ability to borrow/share gear with my brother, a Canon pro.

So I am seriously asking myself, does the name on the prism make enough of a difference to me that I wouldn't consider the switch, or am I permanently committed to what I have?

I honestly don't know the answer. The D750 is a phenomenal camera, but I suspect a the 1D and 5D aren't either. I'm getting my "kit" at the end of the week. It's going to be an interesting month as I get to play with it and figure things out.

cbay

I'd probably run both for a while and go from there. If the Canon could do everything the Nikon could i wouldn't bat an eye and change up if it made sense gear wise.

It will be a learning curve to change over but I am sure you are up to the challenge.

Now this part is just between the two of us so don't repeat it. There is little difference in the two brands. it is like Ford and Chevy, they make incremental leaps to gain a very slight gain on the other one but for the most part there is not difference.

Now back to public record.... How dare you switch over, you turn coat. Nikon is the best camera ever made.

Oz

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I would not hesitate to give it a try. Like was said, I would play with both and see what fits my need the best. I am really not one to be MFG loyal necessarily. My criteria is quality / price and function. We will hate to see you leave Nikonites @BackdoorHippie. <insert sarcasm>
Canon or not, we always enjoy you input.

Bill16

You gotta do whatever brings you the most joy in your photography my friend! Any brand that help there is a good brand! Lol :)
For me right now that means Nikon is all!:)

jay_dean

Theres not much between Nikon and Canon really, so if you can get stuff for free and further stuff at a discount, and share and borrow more pro gear, I think i'd go for it.

Scott Murray

Honestly a camera is a camera and if you are given a chance to try a different camera than so be it. I love nikon because they fit me and my style. I have tried canon and they are not my style but in saying that I am looking at medium format like Hassleblad and the likes... Just do what makes you happy.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well congratulations Jake, not for switching, but for having this opportunity. Corporations don't do this to any Joe Bloe. They are very selective and if you got this opportunity it's because someone at managing level valued your work high enough to lend you any equipment you may need. I was given this opportunity long time ago when digital was not even a dream.

As far as IQ, I don't think anyone could tell which shot was made with a Canon or Nikon or Sony or ...

So, since you have some time to play around with the stuff, just enjoy yourself and then take your decision. If it's a win situation, I know what I would do. As long as you make certain that you can live with the fact that I will never speak to you again for as long as you live... (NOT) :) . No what I started to write was to make certain you can live with the actual camera handling, the button configurations, the feel when you use it.

Enjoy your camera and use it for what it is, creating images, not bragging about brand or a model.

Have a good time and be happy!

pforsell

Go for it!! It's just ordinary stuff, not family jewels. I have Canon EOS, Olympus, Leica and Nikon 1 stuff in addition to my Nikon DSLR gear.

Don't hesitate, get it! Use it. Enjoy it. In the end the guy with the most toys wins. :cool:

BackdoorArts

@Marcel I wish I could say this was about Canon wanting to do something for me. Fact is, they did something for my brother which has made it possible for me to obtain his gear for nothing/next to nothing, while procuring new gear through him moving forward.

It's just a weird thing to consider when I find myself 100% satisfied with the stuff I've been shooting with. It's swapping because I can, and because future purchases (none of which are planned) can be had at employee prices. If there's one real reason to do it it's so when we go shooting together I can borrow his stuff, which will save me on what I have to carry. LOL

The plan is to try it out for a couple months and then decide what it is I want to do. If this arrangement continues it makes too much sense that I'd switch over when the next technological hurdle is reached, so why not before, right - particularly if it can be done at no cost to me?

RocketCowboy

I think having the opportunity to use both brands of gear is phenomenal. The fundamentals of photography aren't unique to any particular vendor, it's all about how they go about what they do that makes them unique. Things like rear curtain sync with flash ... whether that's a feature implemented in the flash gun or the camera body, then end effect is the same.

It does sound like you have the opportunity of a life time, to be able to make the change without the typical financial entrapments that the rest of us face. I know I'll be looking forward to your thoughts and feedback on what works better for you with each, and ultimately what your decision might be. You lucky dog. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
So we kind of have our own Scott Kelby of the forum now. ;)

After the bad taste I got from my D600 problem as well as reading the multiple issues with new Nikon bodies or lenses, I've asked myself lately if I had the money to make the switch, would I do it? That's one reason why I held off getting a D750 right away. If Nikon hadn't had problem after problem with new products, I doubt I would consider making the change.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Of course, I would miss you...as it is, I've missed your input here since you aren't active like you used to be. :blue: That said, if you make the switch, don't let the Backdoor hit you on the way out. :beguiled: (Just kidding!) :encouragement:

Krs_2007

I honestly wouldn't hesitate to give them or any other brand a try as long as I could get what I have or better with minimal to no loss in money or value. They honestly really are about the same although it seems they offer more lens choices, could be wrong but I hear Canon users talking about a lens range or speed of a lens in a certain range that Nikon doesn't offer. I am sure it goes both ways.

I would jump all over Jake, sounds like a great opportunity.

Geoffc

If money was no object and after trialling the Canon gear I was happy with the feel and functionality I would exercise the same respect for Nikon that it shows it's customers. For example, screwing up third party products with new firmware releases.

I'm happy with my Nikon gear but I only started on the Nikon path because I inherited some gear from my father. It's quite laughable that my wife and I are nearly £20k invested in Nikon because my dad left me a 75-300 lens back in 1993!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, if your needs are already filled... let this opportunity be an occasion to play with new toys. It should give you at least a chance to test and then decide what you prefer.

Whiskeyman

Such a dilemma, I would be happy to face! If you try the Canon gear and it meets or exceeds the Nikon gear for your needs and wants, I'd likely go with the Canon gear for the cost of future adds and upgrades!

WM

hrstrat57

For me it's about affordable pro level glass.

Nikon AF D glass for me with my 2 12MP rocket focusing cams I am in photo heaven.

Wanna give me a couple of new 1d's with comparable glass, a dream kit I would only afford if I won the lottery?

OK.....I'm all in!

Nothing wrong with pricey Canon L glass and I've shot Pentax, Nikon, Minolta/Sony and yes many Canon cameras.

No worries good gear is good gear.

Enjoy!