Thoughts about Project 365

ohkphoto

Snow White
This project has done more for my photography than anything else, simply because I am shooting every single day. I thought I would share some of my "epiphanies" with you since today is 226/365.

1. At some point, probably between day 35-50, there is critical point: is this a chore or do I really love photography? You can call this, "the dark night of the photographer's soul". If you don't hit it, you may not be putting your heart and soul into it. When you do hit it and search your "photographer's soul" and work through it, your art will leap to a new level.
2. I learned to work through my creativity blocks. Keep shooting until you find something you like. I've learned to operate more from the intuitive/feeling side and let a photo "evolve"
3. Don't stay in your comfort zone . . . in other words, 365 photos of the same kind or thing isn't going to make this worth your time.
4. I can no longer go even one day without shooting something, and I'm able to put all my love and energy into every shot, regardless of what I use the photo for.
5. I know my equipment and which lenses, settings, etc. will give me the desired outcome.
6. I know my weak areas and my strengths.

So that I could evaluate my progress, I loaded all my 365 Project photos into a wordpress blog . . . it makes it easier and classier to post photos on social sites, and also this particular theme has a nice slide show on the home page that you can customize by category. I can look at my photos my month or by category and it helps me determine where I need more work, and I can stay active on the social sites (which is a must for businesses) by easily posting links to archived photos.

Here's the link to my new blog: ohkWORLD

So the bottom line is pretty similar to the opening line: this project has only validated my love of photography.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for your thoughts Helene. I tend to agree with you 100% about how the "keep shooting part" will help me become a better photographer and maybe discover a new seam. Plus, it never hurts to keep looking at light and think about images.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Just-Clayton

Helene, I wish I coulld shoot every day, but with my job Im just worn out when i get home. If i had it my way, I would shoot every day. So thats why I turned my 365 into when ever.

Vermontster

Helene, I made it to day 71 and made a conscious decision to stop. I still shoot everyday, but had to dedicate more time to work and home. Project 365 (and Nikonites overall) took my photography from pretty crappy to not bad. I've learned how to make photos pop and tell a story. Some of the shots I take now I comment to myself how good they are; which I have never done before. Vermont's largest newspaper set up a site called CaptureMyVermont.com a while ago. This site features Vermont Photographers providing pictures taken exclusively in Vermont. I have been in the list of top 10 most popular photographers since I joined. This would not have happened had I not participated in Project 365 and gained a wealth of information from the Nikonites site overall. So I am replying to your thread as my way of saying thank you to you and everyone else who has encouraged me to this point. I have a long ways to go, so you will see me here for a while!!!

Thanks!!!!! Chris

Rick M

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Helene. This is one of the many reasons I am here, fantastic insight into photography and Pete's bad jokes :).
But seriously, seeing work like yours and others here is an inspiration in itself. Perhaps someday I will start a 365, but for now I will continue enjoying your work and learning through your wonderful examples.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I can only echo what other have said here. Most importantly "Thank You" all here at Nikonites for your input and support. To think in five days I will be an active member of this board for a year. A year ago I didn't even know a thing about the rule of Thirds, Lightroom, HDR, CS5 Filters, etc. Because of Nikonites and my 365 project my photography shows what I have learned from all of you.

I also enjoy seeing the work of others and it's an inspiration for me to continue on maybe into project 730, why not I can only get better. I would not know what it would be like not to pick my camera up now for one day and shot a 365 photo, I would feel lost with out doing it.

Vermontster

Yesterday I was notified that the following photo was picked as the Editor's Choice in a macro photo challenge. There were nearly 1000 photos submitted, so I am very pleased with the outcome.

I share this, not as a pat on my back, but a pat on all the backs of the active Nikonites. As I mentioned above Helene, the Project 365 and the Weekly Challenges enabled me to enter this macro challenge; which I would not have done 3 months ago. In addition, Marcel's macro work has been very inspirational to me along with his encouragement.

Thanks again!!!

111 DSC_0779a.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I was notified that the following photo was picked as the Editor's Choice in a macro photo challenge. There were nearly 1000 photos submitted, so I am very pleased with the outcome.

I share this, not as a pat on my back, but a pat on all the backs of the active Nikonites. As I mentioned above Helene, the Project 365 and the Weekly Challenges enabled me to enter this macro challenge; which I would not have done 3 months ago. In addition, Marcel's macro work has been very inspirational to me along with his encouragement.

Thanks again!!!

View attachment 5050

Congrats Chris. Your perseverance is paying off. Keep up the good work.

Kim20

Helene, I really must express how much I am enjoying "everything Nikonites", and the impact you all have had on my life, especially in such a short time. I am learning more and more, and I just can't seem to get enough. Joining the project 365 has been the best thing ever for me. I do agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, and I look forward to the future with you all.

jengajoh

I still feel this way as well. I am so thankful for everyone's help and input.
I am, however, stuck in a rut with my 365. I just can't seem to think of something or find something interesting every day. I know I won't find something awesome every single day but it is getting fewer and farther between that I have something I am proud of. I am certainly not quitting, but I need to get out of my rut.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I only wish I had more time for photography. Thanks for the insight Helene!

Furthermore, I'm really glad that all of you have come here and learned something from each other. :)

robinchun

Helene, I wish I coulld shoot every day, but with my job Im just worn out when i get home. If i had it my way, I would shoot every day. So thats why I turned my 365 into when ever.

Ditto..work (and a bit more work) and family stuff get 'in the way'..for me it's when I get time!

Robin

Kim20

I just want to let everybody know how enjoyable all their photos are. I check them out every day ( well sometimes I get a day behind ) and it is usually the last thing I do before going to sleep.

Mis Adam

I am with every one on this. This forum is the first and last thing I do every day just to see what sparks my attention and gives me even more drive to get out and get some photos or try to get that one Photo of the day.
The best part is, its not only photography, its humor and personality that keeps you coming back for more. Thank you every one.! I dont facebook I nikonite!