D5500 double click in live view, sincle click in viewfinder mode

tdacon

Hello, new visitor and a new camera -

I've just unpacked my new D5500, after trading in a D5200 that I've been using for about three years. While taking some initial test shots I'm getting different behavior from the camera in live view as opposed to viewfinder mode.

With the camera set to release mode single frame, JPEG fine quality, and HDR turned off (but Active-D lighting turned on), a picture taken with the viewfinder clicks just once, as you would expect, and creates a single JPEG file on the card. But in live view, the camera clicks twice with about a half-second between clicks, as though it's recording two images. Still, there's just a single JPEG file on the card.

Nothing like this happened with my D5200, and I can't see what I'm doing that would make it behave so differently in the two modes. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Tom

nickt

Welcome. Are you sure your d5200 didn't do it? The new camera might just sound a little different. Live view shots take two shutter actuations. The shutter needs to be open for live view. It then needs to close before the shot starts. It needs to open for the desired shutter speed, then close again to end the timed shutter cycle, then open again to return to live view. All our Nikons dslr's do it that way.

tdacon

Hmmm. Well, maybe it did, but I don't remember it being noticeable. Maybe it's just louder on the new camera.

Thanks for the good explanation.

Tom

dmc

Sorry dude, your D5200 did the same thing. Do you still have it? Try both side by each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk