D5500 to D750

dck22

I recently decided I wanted to get into photography again after many years, so I purchased a D5500 package. After a couple weeks, I decided that the D500 was painful to grip I've got pretty severe arthritis in my right hand with deformity of my middle finger. The D5500 went back and out I came with a D750. The grip is much more comfortable and I don't seem to notice the extra weight. The 18-55mm lens went back with the D5500. The 18-140mm will be my walk around lens. When I got the D750, I also picked up a Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8. I guess Santa thinks I've been a very good boy this year!

Bill16

I don't think the 18-140mm will work very well, since I think it is a DX lens. But the 105mm micro should be a lot of fun for you! I have the 105mm micro af-d and it has been awesome to use!:)
Here is one of my favorites!:)

1437630386175.jpg

dck22

Ah yes. I didn't think of that. That’s what happens when you are a newbie. I have 3 DX lenses, the 18-140mm, 55-300mm, and 35mm. How well does the DX crop mode work on the D750?

Very nice pic of the spider.

mikew_RIP

The crop mode works well but you lose a lot of MPs so you lose the benefits of the D750,its all ok for now but you will need to look into FX lenses.

Bill16

I would recommend selling the DX lenses, and buying a FX lens. From what I heard, not having tried it myself, is that DX lenses work poorly on FX in DX mode.
As to what lens to get, would depend on what you like to shoot most and what your budget is, just in case you were going to ask.lol:)

Thank you very much for the compliment on my spider shot!:D

Ah yes. I didn't think of that. That’s what happens when you are a newbie. I have 3 DX lenses, the 18-140mm, 55-300mm, and 35mm. How well does the DX crop mode work on the D750?

Very nice pic of the spider.

dck22

Budget, what budget? The budget went out the window when I went to the D750 and bought the 105mm on impulse. I guess I could return the 105, but really think I'm going to like it. I will be trying to sell the DX lenses and get a general purpose zoom. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Bill16

For a reasonable zoom, the Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f4 g lens is about $550.00 on eBay new, but that might be grey market price. But use should be near that for a used US version if you prefer to avoid grey market!:)

You should be able to get enough out of your DX lenses for it.:)

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Dont return the 105,its a great lens,spend a bit of time reading the forum and googleing,in this day and age except for pro work sometimes or the need to boast you have Nikon glass there are some great lenses out there not made by nikon.

Blacktop

I use the 24-120mm lens on my D750 when shooting anything except birds. It is a fantastic lens and can not be beat as far as the price goes. Some here use the 28-300mm for a walkaround lens. I don't have one but I hear it is also a very nice lens for that purpose.

Unless you have a ton of money to play with, these would be my recommendations.

I just moved for the D7100 to the D750 today. I had already upgraded to the 24-120 for my D7100 a while back and it was a great lens on that camera but it really shines on the D750 just shot a few on it today but liked what I saw.

dck22

Thank you all for the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction. I am thrilled to be on this forum!

I just remembered the 55-300mm came from Best Buy and can be returned for full price until 1/15/16. The 35mm and 55-300mm DXs are still new, but not returnable.

dck22

Well, I bit the bullet. The 24-120mm seemed like what I needed to make me happy with the D750. It will arrive tomorrow and I will be ready for Christmas.

The 55-300mm DX will go back to Best Buy. The 35mm and the 55-300mm will go up for sale. I think I will be happy with the 24-120 and the Micro 105. At least until I get some bills paid. :)

Merry Christmas all!

Well, I bit the bullet. The 24-120mm seemed like what I needed to make me happy with the D750. It will arrive tomorrow and I will be ready for Christmas.

The 55-300mm DX will go back to Best Buy. The 35mm and the 55-300mm will go up for sale. I think I will be happy with the 24-120 and the Micro 105. At least until I get some bills paid. :)

Merry Christmas all!

Here is one I shot today using the D750 w/24-120
I was quite happy.
750_0095-edit-edit.jpg

Simons

Nice Shot Don. When I get the D750, I am picking up the 24-120 as well. I think it is a nice lens from what I have seen and think the OP would be happy with it as well. Has my vote