future lens

panthera_nl

Hi everyone!

I've just become a member and have a question about a lens i want to purchase in
the near future for my Nikon D90 + 18-200 AF-S DX VR II .....

I am mainly interested in taking pictures of nature,wildlife and / or birds
(I know that for bird photography you really need a 500mm lens, but unfortunately my wallet
doesnt allow that sort of lens,thus i nee some advice and need to know if anyone has experience with the
following 3 lenses ...

1.80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 AF VR Zoom-Nikkor
2.Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm 4.5-5.6 G ED DX VR
3.Nikkor AF-S 300m f/4.0 D IF-ED

(P.S Also info about Tamron or Sigma lenses are very welcome)

The difference of course is the range and extent of the price and some other things.

Also I am only a novice so when it comes to it,i will have
a lot of fun with the lens I have now, but after speaking to
different people whom are mainly into bird photography i've
found out several things of interest.

So at the end of the day i will come to a point that i wont be able to take the
pictures i really want to take with the lens ive got now and therefore i will have to
posses a better lens for me to take the photography one step further.

Ive already had different oppions about the lenses im stating here on Dutch Photography
forums,also about the same lens some of em say its good others say its not,so i thought
lets broaden the search and aquire some more advice overseas.

Like i said first i will go out and enjoy what ive got doing up experience in practive
before even contemplating buying another lens but its always good to find out
more,so hope fully someone can give me some good information and more.

Thanks already and to all ,lots of fun taking picture!

Wanja

Rick M

Welcome to the site. I think you might want to throw the Nikon 70-300 VR into your list. I do not own it (yet) but some folks on this site recommend it very highly (I'm sure they will check in soon).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the site. I think you might want to throw the Nikon 70-300 VR into your list. I do not own it (yet) but some folks on this site recommend it very highly (I'm sure they will check in soon).

For Birding and wildlife, I'd recommend the 300 F4.0. The zooms are NOT recommended with the tele extenders. I've read great reviews about the 300 with the 1.4 tele extender. The 70-300 is 5.6 at 300 and when used with the extender, it becomes too dark for proper fast focusing with the moving targets.

panthera_nl

Thank you all for your comments!

First I must still figure out how all the aperture, shutter speed and ISO combinations go into work before I can even think of going to buy a new lens .
But that is not keeping me from obtaining some useful info about the eventual successor lens to shoot the subjects im really interested in,which is nature/landscapes and wildlife.Also where I live in Almere, birds are surely the greatest subject ...

Meanwhile I heard a lot about the 300mm from people whom are using it,and the disadvantages/disadvantage of the lens, of what ive heard is if you do use this particular lens,that it is a must to do so with a tripod to get the best pictures , this right? (Stabilization )....

I've also heard a lot about Sigma lenses (in particular the 150-500mm)are a good choice and will definitely go surfing on the net and find some more info on their performances, price and the corresponding weight which comes with it :-(... .... Is it possible for these lenses to be combined with a 1.4/1.7TC ?

I'll let you know which lens i've finally chosen when the time comes and also what i thought of the lens,by then i will have learned a lot more
about not only which lenses and the mm's but also about what you can actually really do with them & the camera to get that picture you want..

Regards,
Wanja

PS: The reason for the differences in lenses and their prices is just simply that I had looked at Konijenberg.nl ( photography equipment site in Holland)and saw these two lenses and thought find out some information from people who've used them or know about them and the performances of lenses ...
But yes now I know that I've got the 18-200mm sorted,its obvious that i will need to upgrade the mm's)