ISO number in viewfinder

mikew_RIP

I think it depends which camera,not found a way to do it on the D7200 though but i never looked, the point of auto ISO to me is i have set the shutter and aperture to what i want so have to use the chosen ISO.

Horoscope Fish

Is there a way to see ISO number in viewfinder itself while on Auto ISO

I can only see that flashing when camera selects different ISO

Its very annoying

Abhay
In short, no... There is no way to get the ISO to display in the viewfinder on the D7200 like it does, for instance, on my D750. Why Nikon did this is beyond me and all the people I've heard complain about it. For what it's worth here are the two "workarounds" I have heard about...

Workaround Number One is to enable Easy-ISO in conjunction with Auto-ISO.
Workaround Number Two is re-assigning the video "Record" button to display ISO when pressed using, the Custom Settings menu.

Neither of these, clearly, are ideal solutions but until Nikon decides to change it, these appear to be your best options.

WayneF

This surprises me, because my D300 and D800 do show actual Auto ISO in the viewfinder, before the shutter.
There must be a little more situation to the D7200 story? Auto ISO can change depending on how the camera is aimed of course, but hard to believe the viewfinder does not show it.

One exception was when using TTL flash, the older models (D300 and before)... the viewfinder always shows Minimum ISO value with flash, but after the shot, the LCD Exif might show new ISO flashing (only if needed for the TTL flash). Might change when flash triggers. If no flash, it shows current Auto ISO.

If speaking of flash, there have been three versions of Auto ISO with flash,
D300 and older DSLR stayed at minimum ISO with flash (unless TTL flash possibly might need more),
D800 and newer (ISO with external TTL flash might increase two stops, but internal flash might go to maximum),
and those in between (ISO goes high depending on ambient, regardless of TTL flash).

Auto ISO is always Minimum with a Manual flash, in any model (if flash presence is detected). Manual flash cannot react to Auto ISO.

EDIT: Ah so, the D7200 is itself an exception? I was not aware... Sounds like a mistake in design.

Last edited:

Blacktop

I believe the OP is asking about Auto ISO while the the shutter is pressed half way down.
I can not see it either on my D7100 while in auto ISO and AF-C with the shutter pressed halfway while tracking.

patnyabhay

Thanks for sharing workaround
Will try today

But the fact that it is required to see what ISO camera is choosing while you are in viewfinder is important, i can make decisions for aperture or shutter speed accordingly

It is available in control panel and lcd screen though but it is of no help when hand holding camera

On tripods and still life its fine

Nikon should fix this issue

Abhay

Http://www.facebook.com/abhaypatny

mikew_RIP

Thanks for sharing workaround
Will try today

But the fact that it is required to see what ISO camera is choosing while you are in viewfinder is important, i can make decisions for aperture or shutter speed accordingly

It is available in control panel and lcd screen though but it is of no help when hand holding camera

Abhay

Http://www.facebook.com/abhaypatny

Most Nikon omissions are part of there deliberate trading strategy,the D7200s replacement will probably have the facility to tempt us suckers to trade up.

Horoscope Fish

I agree.

Danno

I am ok with not seeing the number, I just wish Auto ISO did not flash. When I use I am shooting in Manual and I am more concerned about motion and depth of field. I set the limits at that I will return no more noise than I can live with. I have played with it outdoors, but I found a spot for it taking photos at church because the lighting there varies so much. I can tell if I need to adjust the aperture or shutter if my light meter moves more than I can live with.

I love the lowlight capability of this camera, and I have only had it about a week. Much better than my D3200. With the D3200 I really did not gain that much with Auto ISO because of the noise.