Auto ISO or not..?

mikew_RIP

I have been using auto ISO and I am happy with the result, what are the disadvantages of this ?

For what we do i cant think of any,i want to control my shutter speed when using a 600mm lens,so that means aperture or ISO changing,the aperture is limited to a max of f6.3 so i feel i can go further with ISO and in good light i dont want the lens to stop down more than f9/11 so manual with auto ISO fits the bill for me.

J-see

I have been using auto ISO and I am happy with the result, what are the disadvantages of this ?

It's situational. Depending upon your cam/lens and what you intend to do with the shot, auto-ISO can be rewarding, or not. There's a point in every situation beyond which "more" ISO will have negative effects. The trick is to know how far you can take it in any given situation.

Just setting it to auto and let the cam decide how much won't bring the best results.

jay_dean

Good for birding/wildlife, but i wouldn't use it for much or anything else. If you try landscapes with it for example, you'll end up fighting with the camera settings. It also has a tendency to blow out in certain situations

Horoscope Fish

It's rare when I'm NOT using Auto-ISO. My reasoning is that all three legs of the exposure have a dual-nature: all three have a "Virtue (something that works FOR us) and a "Vice" (something that works AGAINST us). These six attributes are the "balls" of the juggling act that is photography. No matter how far you progress with your photography you will never not be performing this juggling act. In time, you may have to think about it less, but the juggling act will never cease to be happening since it lies at the very core of photography itself. Shutter speed's vice is undesired motion blur. Aperture's vice is undesired softness or a flat out blurry shot and ISO's vice is digital noise.

Because I like to creatively control motion blur (or the lack thereof) and since it's almost impossible to correct unintentional motion blur in post processing, I like to be in charge of the chosen shutter speed. Because I like to creatively control the background, prefer sharp shots generally speaking and because it's almost impossible to correct a soft or out of focus shot in post processing, I like to take charge of the chosen aperture. Digital noise, on the other hand, is very correctable during post-processing and, at least in my opinion, its most potent vice does the least "damage" to a shot, comparatively speaking, whereas the other two typically result in an unrecoverable shot.

Yes, there are times when ISO is a much larger factor in the equation and when that is the case, I take charge of ISO as well. But again, generally speaking, ISO is the thing I worry about least which is why I'm comfortable letting the camera handle it for the most part. I can also constrain how much latitude the function has in the Auto-ISO menu as well so, in short... I don't really see any downside to using Auto-ISO.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

It's rare when I'm NOT using Auto-ISO. My reasoning is that all three legs of the exposure triangle have a potential downside (I call them the Three Evils): With shutter speed the potential downside is undesired motion blur. With aperture it's undesired softness or a flat out blurry shot. With ISO it's digital "noise".

Because I like to creatively control motion blur (or the lack thereof) and since it's almost impossible to correct unintentional motion blur in post processing, I like to be in charge of the chosen shutter speed. Because I like to take charge of how the background looks and prefer sharp shots generally speaking and and since it's almost impossible to correct a soft or out of focus shot in post processing, I like to take charge of my aperture. Digital noise, on the other hand, is very correctable during post-processing and, at least in my opinion, its most potent downside does the least "damage" to a shot, comparatively speaking, whereas the other two typically result in an unrecoverable shot.

Yes, there are times when ISO is a much larger factor in the equation and at those times I take charge of that as well. But again, generally speaking, ISO is the thing I worry about least which is why I'm comfortable letting the camera handle it. I can constrain it in large degree anyway, in the Auto-ISO menu so I don't really see any downside to using Auto-ISO.

Thats what i meant,wish i could explain like you

mikew_RIP

The other obvious thing is find the highest ISO for your camera that you are happy with and dont go above it,although the highest may be different in different situations and different subjects.

Blacktop

I only use auto iso when I'm doing bird/bif shots or other action shots. (even then I set a limit)
When I have time to manually set my iso ie..landscapes/buildings and such, then I much prefer to be in control of my ISO .

Horoscope Fish

Don't forget, Fish is a college professor, or sumpin like that.
HA! I wish... More like, "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer".

Once, some years ago, I did have a batch of business card printed with my job title showing, President of the Galaxy.

The Dean, sadly, was not amused.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
HA! I wish... More like, "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer".

Once, some years ago, I did have a batch of business card printed with my job title showing, President of the Galaxy.

The Dean, sadly, was not amused.

Hang around them college dudes long enough and something has to rub off. :encouragement:

Whoops, better get the grammar correct.

If you hang around the college dudes long enough, something will eventually have to rub off. Ha!