Subject ideas for a 52 in 2016

mikew_RIP

A thread to post ideas in for subjects to help those doing a 52 with ideas,this is the 2015 list to pick from and add to or choose as is,or ignore and come up with your own 52 subjects.

1. Abandoned
  2. Arches
  3. Architecture
  4. Bark
  5. Black and White
  6. Broken
  7. Chairs and benches
  8. City/Town/Where I live
  9. Close-up
  10. Coiled
  11. Colours
  12. Columns
  13. Crooked
  14. Curves
  15. Damage
  16. Darkness
  17. Depth of Field
  18. Dots / Dashes / Diagonals
  19. Duplicate(s)
  20. Entrance
  21. Extreme
  22. Fast (eg fast food/fast cars etc)
  23. Fence(s)
  24. Fly
  25. Fountains/Waterfall
  26. Gates
  27. Glass
  28. Industrial
  29. Isolated
  30. Landscapes
  31. Leaning
  32. Leaves
  33. Locks
  34. Looking Up
  35. Motion
  36. Neglected
  37. Night
  38. Old
  39. Pairs
  40. Reflection
  41. Repetition
  42. Roadside
  43. Rock(s)
  44. Silhouettes or shadows
  45. Stairs/Steps
  46. Still life
  47. Through a window
  48. Unique camera angle
  49. Vehicle
  50. Water
  51. Weather
  52. Window(s)

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I decided to do two in 2015 this list which i failed at and my own list which i completed,one suggestion for first timers is as a sort of mission statement at the beginning state an amount of substitutions you will allow your self,perhaps 5.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I decided to do two in 2015 this list which i failed at and my own list which i completed,one suggestion for first timers is as a sort of mission statement at the beginning state an amount of substitutions you will allow your self,perhaps 5.
That's exactly what I did. To my surprise I have only had to substitute two, I think and I have made my schedule of one per week within a day or two (I haven't always posted them in a timely fashion, however.) I made it a goal to stay within 100 miles of my home for 80% of my photos, and I think I have done that 100%. All in all, I really have surprised myself. Ha! Three weeks to go. I have some ideas to complete those if the weather cooperates.

RockyNH_RIP

That's exactly what I did. To my surprise I have only had to substitute two, I think and I have made my schedule of one per week within a day or two (I haven't always posted them in a timely fashion, however.) I made it a goal to stay within 100 miles of my home for 80% of my photos, and I think I have done that 100%. All in all, I really have surprised myself. Ha! Three weeks to go. I have some ideas to complete those if the weather cooperates.

Thats what I think I did also, two substitutions.... I would also like to see (and many will disagree) ONLY 1 photo per submission... It is titled a "52" and that is what the final result should be.. I found it awkward viewing a theme where 13 pics are posted. I also had many for each theme, but I posted only one in the thread.... then posted the extras in my regular thread listing them as Out-Takes.

Just my 2 cents (probably not worth that much!) :)

Pat in GA

Horoscope Fish

If doing themes, I would add some that were more technique-based such as...

• HDR
  • Panning
  • Motion Blur
  • Light Painting
  • Multiple Exposure
I would think that would change things up a little bit as well as help expand your boundaries as a photographer.

mikew_RIP

Thats what I think I did also, two substitutions.... I would also like to see (and many will disagree) ONLY 1 photo per submission... It is titled a "52" and that is what the final result should be.. I found it awkward viewing a theme where 13 pics are posted. I also had many for each theme, but I posted only one in the thread.... then posted the extras in my regular thread listing them as Out-Takes.

Just my 2 cents (probably not worth that much!) :)

Pat in GA

Although i think i may have posted more than 52 as i sometimes did male and female of the same bird i do agree with you on this one.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I posted more than one on a couple of themes (I saw others doing it. Yep, that's my excuse.) I didn't start out that way, because it was hard enough for me to get one photo for a theme, let alone more than one. Ha! I do agree, one photo per theme week is really the way to go.

traceyjj

Heres the one I am planning to do

• Abstract
  • Angles
  • Architecture
  • Beyond Reach
  • Black and White
  • Busy
  • Calm
  • Centre of Interest
  • City/Town/Where I live
  • Coiled
  • Comfort
  • Contrasts
  • Crooked
  • Darkness
  • Depth of Field
  • Dominating
  • Fast (eg fast food/fast cars etc)
  • Framed
  • Horizon
  • Landscapes
  • Leading lines
  • Light
  • Literature
  • Macro
  • Motion
  • Multiple
  • Neglected
  • Ordinary
  • Paper
  • Parallel Lines
  • People
  • Perspective
  • Pictures in Pictures
  • Planning
  • Reflection
  • Repetition
  • Rule of thirds
  • Selfie
  • Silhouettes or shadows
  • Simple
  • Slow
  • Soft
  • Still life
  • Structures
  • The Kitchen
  • Through a window
  • Transport
  • Unique camera angle
  • Urban
  • Vivid
  • Weather
  • Wide

Feel free to use this list or whatever you wish from it :) Its all about having fun while learning new techniquescoming out of your comfort zones and pushing your boundarys

mikew_RIP

Ime thinking of making it simple ::what:: by having one subject, possibly abandoned/discarded and trying to get 52 depictions of that,it would mean repeat types but all different,still thinking though.

Roy1961

Contributor
what about your (whoever is taking this challenge) hardest personal subject to shot, here the user has to explain what theirs would be? for me it would be getting a clear shot of that *&%$#@#$% Northern Harrier, which "glides" thought the fields, not as if its seems that hard to do?