How to use the Oil Paint filter

tea2085

I heard that oil paint has been brought back to photoshop. My leased edition of photoshop has "oil paint" in stylize dropdown, but is faded and I am unable to do anything with it. I have downloaded all updates. Has anyone who subscribes to creative cloud been able to use this filter. I have one photo I would really love to apply this effect to. Should I contact Adobe? Paul

Horoscope Fish

Re: Oil Paint filter

I heard that oil paint has been brought back to photoshop. My leased edition of photoshop has "oil paint" in stylize dropdown, but is faded and I am unable to do anything with it. I have downloaded all updates. Has anyone who subscribes to creative cloud been able to use this filter. I have one photo I would really love to apply this effect to. Should I contact Adobe?
Is this a 16-bit image file? If so, you probably need to change the bit depth to "8". To do that, select Mode –> 8 Bits/Channel under the Image menu.

Carroll

Here is what I did to change "Greyed out" Oil Paint Filter" so that I could use it:

In PS CC, click on "Edit"
Click on "Preferences"
Click on "Performance"
Click on "Advanced Settings" under "Graphics Processor settings".
Check "Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation"
Check "Use Open GL"

This may have absolutely nothing to do with your system and may not work for you. It did for me. The Cat was trying to help me when I was doing all this, so you may need animal expertise, along with these instructions. :cat:

View attachment 189803

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Here is what I did to change "Greyed out" Oil Paint Filter" so that I could use it:

In PS CC, click on "Edit"
Click on "Preferences"
Click on "Performance"
Click on "Advanced Settings" under "Graphics Processor settings".
Check "Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation"
Check "Use Open GL"

This may have absolutely nothing to do with your system and may not work for you. It did for me. The Cat was trying to help me when I was doing all this, so you may need animal expertise, along with these instructions. :cat:
The Oil paint filter works with my iMac but won't with my MacBook Air. I tried the Open GL route but this was greyed out. So I suspect my MB Air is too weak to process the filter. But I haven't tried to modify to 8 bits... To be continued.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Here is one this thread inspired me to do from a shot done today.

froid exaspérant.jpg

tea2085

Horoscope, already set to 8 bits channel, Carrol- I followed your steps and OMG the type turned bold, now I have to figure out how to use "Oil Paint". Marcel, your posting is why I want the filter. Horoscope is always helpful to so many, Carrol- how did you ever figure that out, and Marcel0-if I can ever be the photographer you are my life will will be complete. Paul

Carroll

Horoscope, already set to 8 bits channel, Carrol- I followed your steps and OMG the type turned bold, now I have to figure out how to use "Oil Paint". Marcel, your posting is why I want the filter. Horoscope is always helpful to so many, Carrol- how did you ever figure that out, and Marcel0-if I can ever be the photographer you are my life will will be complete. Paul

Marcel is the one who got me interested in the Oil Paint Filter...his images and art are breath-taking. The Fish is, well, like the funny looking little guy in Star Wars...forget his name....the one who is wise, and knows about everything. Oz

I did some Duck Duck Go searches, and while I did not find an exact answer about how to "fix" the Oil Paint Filter, kind of stumbled onto it. The Cat helped.

I am glad you got it going, you are in for some enjoyable adventures in artistic expression!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team

Rescuing those not so great shots with Oil Paint is good, but so is Grunge. Ha! Really there are lots of different ways to Rescue those...

Carroll

One may be surprised what a very subtle processing with Oil Paint Filter does for your very best shots...

Why would you work on "Throw-a-way" shots? Just my opinion, of course! :encouragement:

lrlebron

One may be surprised what a very subtle processing with Oil Paint Filter does for your very best shots...

Why would you work on "Throw-a-way" shots? Just my opinion, of course! :encouragement:

I agree. I see the Oil Filter as just another PP tool much like converting the image to black and white or split toning.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Hey [MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION], nice job on the sticky, but I am seeing double. Ha! Did you mean to do two? LOL

Only one as far as I can see. There is another that was about it not working and several people responded but this is the only one that says"post your ........l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I am seeing two. Maybe I have been drinking too much.... Water that is (No alcohol here). Maybe that is the problem. Ha!

double.PNG

See top two listings